Menu
Highlighted
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hard of Hearing headphones

We have a family member who is hard of hearing. We are trying to devise a wireless way of increasing their listening experience with the use of wireless headphones. The problem is as soon as a Bluetooth link is established between TV and Headphones, the TV is muted and no one else can listen!!

I talked on the phone with Richer Sounds and when they established I was a Virgin customer they suggested there could be a way of the TV sound coming via Virgin and the wireless headphone sound coming from TV, but I am not clever enough to understand that.

My TV is a Samsung UE55KS8000 and my Virgin runs through a Tivo V6 box.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hard of Hearing headphones

On some recent Samsung TVs there is a 'multi output audio' option here - Menu > System > Accessibility > Multi-output Audio. This is only available when the Bluetooth device is connected.

That will output sound to both the connected Bluetooth device and the speakers at the same time, however there is a delay between the two - the TV speakers will be ahead of the Bluetooth device.

Otherwise you'd need something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077MXFJGQ

You can connect this to the V6 and it'll output audio to that for Bluetooth and to the TV via HDMI. However this won't help for any built in apps on the TV itself. I'd expect an audio delay between the two still.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
jimgironde
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh my goodness, you are a legend!

I do indeed have that function and it works like a dream. The sound through the headphones sound much nicer as well!

I have been trying to solve this problem for months. The settings menu options are so varied and deep you really need to know what you are looking for in advance. I had never thought of looking for accessibility options but was concentrating on sound options.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Glad to be of help, and that it was an easy solution!
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Taf
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I donated one of these to an elderly neighbour. He now uses it not just for TV, but for general hearing around the home and outside.

It's basically an adjustable audio amplifier and a light pair of headphones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1016-Magnisound-3000-Hearing-Device/401682611855?hash=item5d86263e8f:gSmiley TongueZIA...Smiley Tongue