cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HITRON ROUTER AND 5 STATIC IPs Slow Speed

cappilio
On our wavelength

So i have a vmb connection, 

5 static ip's so the hitron has to be used in modem mode. 

the consistency of the speed im getting is terrible. I am only comparing it to another vm residential line, on vromm 350 it gets 350 all the time no matter what, also in comparison the general ping and jitter were miles better.

my business 500 line, i'm lucky to see 250 most days, odd time at night i will get 400+, i have noticed on speed tests when i do get to the 500 tests which is rare, as soon as that limit gets hit its like the whole connection is nerf'd and it drops to 150mb. 

I cant work out if its some traffic management going on, or perhaps the hitron just cant do the required throughput so craps out?

I reported the problem a million times via text, most of the time i get a text saying problem has been resolved, once i had a guy come and change the coax connector. but nothing seems to make a difference.

or is this a case of,, this is the service and its working within paramaters. my expectations V a previous residential line are just not realistic? i just expcted to pay for a business service and pay more, that maybe that service would be better. exclduing the static ip's which has now benefited me for work purposes the general, speed, availability, relaibility of this line in comparison is dissapointing. I truly hope i just have a fault. but it seems less and less liekly. 

34 REPLIES 34

Never seen that article before, good read.

So it seems like an individual case was resolved? But the firmware wasn't released to the wider public at that time?

I know I have had the problem for aslong as I have had the line. That being said after the thirteen hour outage yesterday, when it finally came back online for the first time I was getting consistently good speeds.... And latency a few ms quicker than previous.

Im going to continue testing throughout the week to see if it's improved stability wise. 

cappilio
On our wavelength

Just wanted to post an update.

So after all these stability issues for easily the last 8 months.

After a thirteen hour failure last week. Since it came back online the problem has disappeared.

Constantly getting 500+ any time of day, latency has improved by a few ms.

No idea what's changed since the failure but happy days!

cappilio
On our wavelength

no change still have a consistent connection. whatever went wrong, whatever they rebuilt. whatever happened thankyou 🙂

i would just leave virgin all together  as they use high latency chipsets and software

not to mention over congestion any given time of day

since i left and went to BT my latency went from  330ms spikes every 10 seconds on virgin 350mb  to 20ms spike every hour on BT fttc  50mb lol

cappilio
On our wavelength

Five static IP connection,
Changed office advised all would be fine with line transfer and as one would expect carry the same static IP addresses across

Day of the move and guess what. No static at new site just randomly different ones.

Multiple calls to support, couldn't even communicate my problem they didn't understand just kept telling me these are my IP addresses and they cannot be changed. Refusing to take into account this is an account move to another address.

After four hours I gave in, I used the same gre tunnel username and password from the old router at the old address and boom, line up with our original IPS

Fast forward three months, and then gre tunnel fails to establish line down, ring support they give me same crap, now provide totally new gre tunnel user pass with again totally new ip range. Won't understand I need our original ips as per standard with any other business isp I have worked with.
This time finally transferred to customer care UK, for the 100047th time I pass security and explain my issue.

I explain my hypothesis that somehow my IP is tied to the old circuit and instead of my account being migrated I have been setup as new. Somehow using the old gre user/pass managed to fudge it and give me the old ip, until vmb systems finally flagged the account and deactivated it, thus causing specific ips to go back into the pool.

Finally, he went off and talked to tech, half an hour later he said there is no way to transfer my original IPS, and I shouldn't have been able to work how I was. Eventually got him to find the old account at prevous address in his system and reactivate the service, soon as he did, my connection was back on original IPS.

Tells me he knows it's going to happen again in thirty days and there is nothing I can do.....