cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green box health and safety

Daviddaaniel
Joining in

I have recently bought a new build property, we have just been informed a green box will be partly obstructing our driveway. Looking into it this seems a health and safety issue as it would block view of children when entering and exiting the driveway. Is there anything we could possibly do to have the box moved? 

I have read other articles on here and I understand usually it would be pay ourself or it’s staying but I was wondering if it being a health and safety issue would make it a different case.

thank you. 

David

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

post some photos showing where the box is planned 

is this work in progress - have you or the builder widened the drive way from the original plans - the siting of boxes is approved by the councils - it would be unusual [to say the least] for them to approve a cabinet partially blocking a driveway unless their plans are different to what actually exists

if nothing exists then assuming there are alternatives VM may site it differently - if work has been done then its unlikely anything will happen

i would also suggest you talk to the council

Tony.
Sacked VIP

CB76EBD8-87C4-4388-9739-75F43AA3BAF4.jpeg

I’ve included a picture, sorry should have done in last one. The house is a new build and the box was already there. I believe the drive way is 3m and the box cuts it to 2m at the entrance.  

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My first thoughts are you are going to be unlucky. Those are not just bog standard HFC distribution cabinets. That is a fibre node & telephone exchange D/A conversion box driving upward of 25 slave cabinets which can service up to 5000 customers. It has two power supplies & a load of UPS batteries to sustain telephones during power outages.

If you have got the odd spare £100,000 you might get it moved, but VM are under no obligation to move it. It was there first, was put there with permission & you are buying the property in full knowledge there are existing access issues.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i agree with the above - i dont think you have a cat in hells chance - my view is the builder is having a laugh or seems to be building behind the boxes - he will know full well they cannot be moved so are a major obstruction to access and view

your options are very much up to you and i accept you may have thought they could be moved before purchase - if it was me and contracts are not signed i would be looking at a house away from the boxes 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

The MSAN and power cabinets were installed years ago. Surely you check out the plot of land or the house before making a purchase?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

even if you paid the £100,000's it would cost lets be honest.
VM are not moving it. VM have a contract with every customer they have to offer services with as little downtime as possible.

They are not taking 1000's of people offline for hours or days to move a box for you because the builder build a house there.

It is not an H&S issue with the drive. The H&S issue is not the box its the drive. The drive shouldn't be built if its not safe to do so

LittleMick73
Superstar

@Daviddaaniel wrote:

I have recently bought a new build property, we have just been informed a green box will be partly obstructing our driveway. Looking into it this seems a health and safety issue as it would block view of children when entering and exiting the driveway. Is there anything we could possibly do to have the box moved? 

I have read other articles on here and I understand usually it would be pay ourself or it’s staying but I was wondering if it being a health and safety issue would make it a different case.

thank you. 

David

I'm afraid you have no chance as others have correctly pointed out