cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google nest doorbell!! Uggh.

Nonnnym
Joining in

I'm at my wit's end.

I had a Nest hello wired doorbell connected to an asus router to the virgin media superhub3 in modem mode, which worked fine for 2 years.

Then suddenly it started glitching and losing connection on and off intermittently with no obvious pattern - except possibly worse in cold weather.

I replaced the doorbell with a brand new Google nest wired doorbell - same problem. I replaced the Asus router with a top end Asus zen mesh internet system - same problem.

I replaced the doorbell 240 to 24v transformer - same problem.

I even dug the doorbell wiring out of the wall and replaced it - just in case it was too narrow a gauge.  I still have the same problem and don't know what else to try.

We have a lot of other tech on our home network but the only new stuff since the problem started are a couple of PCs with WiFi dongles (that are really far away from the doorbell).  Nothing else seems to have an obvious problem but stuff like smart lightbulbs go offline sometimes.

What else can I check or try?  Could it be a problem with the superhub3 even though it's in modem mode??

The WiFi signal is very good and the Asus router mesh is set to reboot every night and that doesn't help.  It doesn't seem to be traffic related because the glitching continues even when everyone is asleep.

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Setup a BQM
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

or a routeing issue for smart stuff
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nonnnym wrote:

I'm at my wit's end.  <snip>

First it's not the Hub 3  in modem mode affecting your wifi.

I would look more towards interference as the source of the issue, but do any of the wired connections drop out at the same time?  

So, have you done a wifi survey of your property with something like InSSIDer or similar.?  There may be interference from an external source.  As for ASUS, I've used their kit for a long time and it's very robust, so I doubt it's it either.

Also can you post your power levels and network log from the Hub, and setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on your circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

handsomeinked
Up to speed
Do you have the same SSID for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks? I have found that separating the two and trying to keep only your smart devices on the 2.4GHz network and everything else on 5GHz. Of course I realise it's not always possible to reserve 2.4 for only smart devices but it's definitely worked for me.

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1