Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Found new app for iPhone/iPad “1.1.1.1:Faster Internet”

My question is:

If their business model isn't advertising what is it?

Companies don't often set up a service unless it offers them something favourable as well.

With regards to the Swift portion of the app.  I'm reminded of something from dial up days that compressed data going into the link and then decompressed it at the other end.  This gives the effect of apparently speeding up up the connection as less data is transferred between Cloudflare and your phone, although apparent speeds will vary depending on:

1. How compressible the data is.
  2. How fast the phone is at decompressing the data.

I could be wrong on that score though.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

More info on DNS HTTPS:

https://sophos.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a2849a8c809119f4bd4929cc&id=043cf26d6f&e=09a6030a6...

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@chenks/ @ravenstar68 

Cloudflare operates off of a freemium model.

What specific concerns do you have with their Privacy policy and specifically their Resolver service?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

all i'm putting out there is, why would you trust cloudfare with your data over anyone else?
as i said, they won't be providing this service to make them feel all fuzzy inside, they will provide such a service because it benefits them. how it ends up beneftting them, well that's the part that remains unclear.

so they say this
“We are committed to not storing any DNS logs for the service for longer than 24 hours. We don’t write the source IP addresses to disc – which is the only data that could identify a customer. We have no interest in being a centralized repository for PII. Our business model is not advertising and it’s not about saving data.”

"they don't write the source IP addresses to disc" - that's quite differnet to saying they don't write it to anywhere at all - seems they are quite specific in saying they just don't write it to disc.

they commit to not store it for over 24 hours, but for those 24 hours what are they doing with it?

i can only repeat, as a business there has to be a benefit to them providing such a service - so what is it?
these headline statements of "we'll make your internest faster" is just a clickbait way of getting people to use the service. the more people they get to use it the more it beneftis them in whatever the master plan is.

if people want to use it then that's up to them, but they need to be aware of what it is they are actually doing by using such a service.

and linking to privacy policies is mostly irrelevant - we all know that privacy policies can and do change - never heard of bait and switch?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I’d rather trust Cloudflare over Google anyway. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

I’d rather trust Cloudflare over Google anyway. 

i don't think there is any evidence to trust one over the other.
however, at least with Google you know what their business model is and what they do with data - it's no secret.

Cloudfare happily host many of the pirate site proxies, so they are no angels.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

All information collected by Cloudflare, no matter whether such information is part of Cloudflare’s temporary or permanent logs, will be cleansed of any personally identifiable data (including your IP addresses). Additionally information that is stored as part of Cloudflare’s permanent logs will be further anonymized.

[source: CLOUDFLARE RESOLVER PRIVACY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS]

If the above, and previous, statement cannot be trusted then the service is not right for you.

An organisation practising illegal activities, like bait and switch, would leave itself open to complaint under the GDPR and possible prosecution.

0 Kudos