Menu
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Found new app for iPhone/iPad “1.1.1.1:Faster Internet”

This new app looks interesting. In the advance settings/diagnostics there are DNS logs and Routing Table which are good info. Take a look.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Found new app for iPhone/iPad “1.1.1.1:Faster Internet”

"faster internet" - quite a big claim when all it does it use a different DNS provider.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you read up about it, the “faster internet” is coming later. This is just the first iteration of the app.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

it's just a cloudfare DNS provider.
faster internet, i'll believe when i see it.

good way to get everyone to start using them for DNS though, now i wonder what's in it for them.......

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A DNS service could be fast because it doesn't block malware or ads. I use Quad9's 9.9.9.9 (set up in my router) which blocks malicious domains and I'm quite OK with the fact that it isn't the fastest. I don't however use their DoH in my PC's Firefox as it bypasses my hosts file.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

1.1.1.1 claims to be faster but doesn't always route you to the best server. If using Netflix it doesn't use the Netflix CDN servers hosted by VM, and the same happens with services that use Akamai (including Steam).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There appear to be two aspects of this app.

1. DNS 
2. VPN - For actually forcing the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and encrypting the connection so your DNS queries are "hidden".

The bit that "Speeds up your mobile wifi" - Warp "isn't active for everyone."  I was asked to join a wait list and am now number 676217 in the wait list.

So lets break down what they're doing.

By creating a VPN into their system they're not only routing your DNS queries, but also routing the rest of your internet traffic through their system.  In other words "No one should be able to snoop on your internet traffic" (except Cloudflare will be able to - VPN's only encrypt traffic between you and the VPN provider).

28% faster DNS resolution.  - <sarcasm mode> Oh wow that's going to have a BIG impact on my internet connection!! </sarcasm mode>

DNS has one purpose - to resolve DNS queries.  Nothing more.  CDN's work by modifying certain DNS queries to make sure that you get directed to the local CDN server but otherwise.  DNS itself does not for example provide instructions on how traffic should be routed across a network, that's what routers do.

In reality most DNS queries take milliseconds to resolve.  So it's unlikely that you'll actually be able to appreciate a 28% improvement in real time.

Note too, that your packets have to traverse the internet to get to the 1.1.1.1 resolver, whereas if you're using your ISP's resolver - your queries are actually done much closer to home.  So you have to factor in the extra milliseconds spent getting to and from the DNS resolver.  In some cases, this can mean that even though the queries are resolved faster, the extra travel time means that you you don't get the result  any quicker, and in many cases it will actually take longer in real time.

Finally because it requires that you be connected to their VPN in order to "encrypt" your DNS queries, you can't use another VPN while you are using the App.

TL : DR

Don't believe the hype.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yup, let's all trust Cloudflare with all our traffic data!
this is the same Cloudflare that almost all the "piratebay" proxies use.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

In an interview with Threatpost last month, Cloudflare’s Prince said, “We are committed to not storing any DNS logs for the service for longer than 24 hours. We don’t write the source IP addresses to disc – which is the only data that could identify a customer. We have no interest in being a centralized repository for PII. Our business model is not advertising and it’s not about saving data.”

[source: Cloudflare Launches Publicly DNS-Over-HTTPS Service]

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

"Our business model is not advertising and it’s not about saving data.”

yeah, so what exactly is in it for them to provide this DNS service for free then?
they are a business so won't be doing it out the goodness of their heart. there has to be something in it for them.