Menu
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fleeced me for leaving

I have been a Virginmedia customer since the NTL days (about 12years!! ) and always stuck with Virginmedia even when SKY pestered me silly promising me better deals, but nope I refused and stuck with VM.

So after many years looking after my ill mother as a Full time Family Carer for her, she decieded a 3 Bedroom home was too much her and decieded to downgrade to a smaller home, unfortunately the area we ended up didn't have Virginmedia even though after checking a few weeks before we moved the postcode VM checker said its more likely VM would be in my area.

But after further checks with the neighbours I found there wasn't VM in the close I was moving too.

So contacted Virginmedia and explained the situtation and was told due to the fact I was in a contract with Virginmedia I would have to pay a £217 leaving fee !!

I was shocked, are you serious I said ????????? Yes was the reply, I said but that can't be right I'm paying for a service I can't use ??????????????

"Well that's what you have to pay if you leave us now"

I replyed but its not my choice to move to this area, it's not my fault you havn't got around to installing Virginmedia here, yet I am having to fortfet that amount !!!

What happened to loyalty of a VERY long term Virginmedia customer what stuck by Virginmedia all the years, never missing a payment.... ..

And now you stab me with this HIGH leaving fee, £217 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and demanding the return of your equipment or face £100 fee.....(That was sent back)

Well I paid it and I say   SHAME ON YOU ! That's how you treat your long term customers...

But what also REALLY  P***ED  ME OFF was the person on the other end of the phone had the cheek to say "when you move out how about asking the people moving in to your old home would they like to join Virginmedia...."

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fleeced me for leaving

When you end a contract early you pay a cancellation fee, and all broadband providers charge such fees. The standard cancellation policy is that you have to pay off the remaining monthly subscription fees of the contract period, so now you are better informed. Also, BT is the sole broadband universal service provider for the UK (except Hull) so Virgin Media has no obligation to install its network in the area where your next home will be.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you broke your contract, you agreed to those break terms when you accepted the content.
with regards to you moving, of course it was your choice. the choice was made to move. you moving means you have to break your contract and you pay the termination fee that you agreed to.

you would have been subject to the same on any service provider.
and drop the whole faux "shame you" stuff, it's embarrassing.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

as above but would just add a question - you say you have been a customer for 12 years - if there is a cancellation fee as they suggest then you must be in contract - for that to be true you must have changed your package within the last 12 months to start a new contract

if thats true then the charge is correct however wrong you feel it to be - however if you have not changed your package within the last 12 months then there has been a mistake - there should be no cancellation fees

Tony
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"Drop the whole faux "shame you" stuff, it's embarrassing"

Yeah you right I shouldn't have said that, but I feel that's so wrong.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Speak with Citizens Advice to see what help they can offer.

chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

for what purpose?

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately however long you've been with the company overall you guys took on a new contract, either in return for additional services or discounts, and haven't honoured it.

You'd have had a minimum period initially and have recontracted to reduce pricing or upgrade services at a discounted or free rate. I imagine the forum team can clear this up for you.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

for what purpose?

They will be able to help determine whether the contract terms are fair and if circumstance is in an influencing factor in that determination.

0 Kudos
chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

@chenks wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

for what purpose?

They will be able to help determine whether the contract terms are fair and if circumstance is in an influencing factor in that determination.

nice try !

0 Kudos