Menu
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First Time VPN User Having Issues

I have never used a VPN before but I took the plunge today and signed up with NordVPN.  I have installed and tried 2 UK servers on the Asus router's VPNClient page.  Both are working but I have at least 2 issues ... maybe more to come.

1.)  My usual 108 mbps has dropped to around 20 mbps.  I was expecting some slow down but that is ridiculous!  Is that usual?

2.) I can no longer access my Superhub SH2AC, which is in modem mode, using 192.168.100.1   Is this usual and is there a workaround other than turning off the VPN each time I need access?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: First Time VPN User Having Issues

1) you'll need to take that up with Nordvpn. What are your reasons for using a VPN in the first place?

2) will be normal as the modem is no longer in the same network as the rest of your devices. You shouldn't have any need to access the hub whilst in modem mode anyway.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

1) you'll need to take that up with Nordvpn. What are your reasons for using a VPN in the first place?

No particular reason for needing a VPN, just wanted to try it out of idle curiosity really   Smiley Tongue

2) will be normal as the modem is no longer in the same network as the rest of your devices. You shouldn't have any need to access the hub whilst in modem mode anyway.

Ah, ok that makes sense, I think.  I like to keep a daily watch on my hub to monitor power levels, timeouts etc.

Electron
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

sounds like you've got too much time on your hands Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

sounds like you've got too much time on your hands Smiley Very Happy

Oh indeed I have being happily retired now for nearly 12 years.  But I still have an inquisitive nature and love to experiment and find out how things work.  Keeps the old brain active.  Smiley Happy

Oh, and Merry Christmas by the way.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m in the same boat with expressvpn, same Asus router (68u with Merlin CFW) and downloads are 20Mb or less. (Pain in the [REMOVED] watching 4K Canadian Netflix on Apple TV) I’m guessing it’s due to the way the router handles the vpn connection, around 200Mb down when using the windows/iPhone app. Of course you Carnot access your modem mode router your on a public paid vpn... if you create your own private vpn with in the router YES that will work.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos