Menu
Ian_Simmonds
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Firewall issues

Hi,

I have been having issues accessing the student loans website login section. I have contacted them on Twitter and they have advised that there needs to be a change in the firewall settings on my router. They have provided a reference number F008006466.

I have proved its the connection as I have managed to access the site via 4G.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Ian

0 Kudos
BumbleVMTech
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Firewall issues

Hi, You can try a pinhole reset.  Press reset button in for 20 seconds then release for 5.  Repeat this 3 times.

Disable Hub firewall - type in 192.168.0.1 then go to Advanced > Security > Firewall > Disable > Apply Settings

This will disable our firewall, also make sure childsafe isnt enabled on my.virginmedia

Regards

Rich

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************
0 Kudos
Ian_Simmonds
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Didnt want to reset the router as have several WiFi networks and DHCP addressing.

have turned off the firewall but still no joy

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Ian_Simmonds 

VM are currently investigating the issue with accessing the student loan website.  There is a long thread about it here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Student-Loan-Website-blocked-timing-out-only-on-vi...

The suggested workaround is to use mobile data to access this site until it is resolved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Ian_Simmonds Alternative workaround is to use the VPN feature of the Opera browser to bypass this current issue and get access to the SLC web site:

https://www.opera.com/features/free-vpn

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Ian_Simmonds
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Scott,

Do you happen to know whether the In Private browsing on private browsing on IE works as well?

Regards

Ian

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian

I don't think it will as private browsing is about not leaving cookies or a browser history for a session.  In this case you need to get your browser to take a different route to the SLC site and I think only a VPN or web proxy (which is technically what the Opera VPN is) will do this.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more