Menu
IKbrunel
Up to speed
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failover to mobile broadband if VM goes down

You can have more than one free Three SIM.

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failover to mobile broadband if VM goes down

I thought it might be interesting to post comparisons between VM and 4G LTE mobile broadband.  The Huawei dongle I was using is rather old and doesn't support 4G, so I've now replaced it with a Teltonika RUT-240 4G router.  This is a very capable device, runs a variant of OpenWRT and has some interesting featues such as being controllable via SMS.  Despite the LTE signal here being mediocre at -83 dBm, it provides a consistent download speed of around 5 Mbps.  This is much slower than the VM broadband but is perfectly adequate for (for example) streaming Netflix.  The connection has been rock-solid for the last week with a sticky (and public) dynamic IP, so there's no problem running services on it.  Here are the thinkbroadband graphs for comparison:

4a13cf03c2253e2908c9f1d82fe5edb50caa6338.pngVirgin Media 50 Mbpsf30f297902caaacc6c6f830774b8814904d5df92.pngThree mobile broadband 5 Mbps

Latency is clearly much worse but this is unlikely to impact much apart from gaming and possibly VOIP.  For a small household doing normal broadband activities, this could well be an acceptable alternative to cable or VDSL broadband.  It may not scale well if it becomes too popular but 5G should mitigate that issue.

I have no immediate plans to leave VM but it's good to have a perfectly functional alternative if VM continue to increase prices while other suppliers decrease theirs.  I see that Three already offer "unlimited" data at £20/month.

0 Kudos