Menu
Red71111
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

External Wallbox Shared?

Quick question - is it standard for an external wall box to be shared between two households? (E.g two flats in one detached building)

I've noticed some more cables coming out of the wall box going to the upstairs flat which might have coincided with a reduction in quality.

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Wallbox Shared?

I wouldn't say it is 'standard' but it is an option that is where a separate cable feed cannot easily be installed.

It should not affect the quality of the signal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I would say this is the ONLY instance where piggy backing of connections is acceptable. It is common around our area where there are two storey flats or apartments & additional feeds would clutter the face of the building. I know some councils are fussy with wiring clutter on any accommodation that is communal.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You need to be careful to fully checkout the omnibox (wall box). My omnibox is shared with my next door neighbour, but there are two cables from the street box going into it and separate connections to each house. This seems to be a common occurrence in my area, originally Cable London, where each pair of semi-detached houses only has one street ‘T’.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos