Menu
gingerbones
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet points in new part of house

Hi,

Looking for advice,

I've just had an extension built and have had 3 ethernet access points added to new rooms 

I plan to leave my hub 3 router in the same place its always been, and i have  3 new cat 6 cables running from the extension and finishing beside the hub 3 and within easy access of connecting these cables to my hub3

As the hub has 4 ethernet points built in i assumed all i would need to do is connect the cat 6 cables to the hub and then by using a patch cable connect to one of the access points in the new room .

However this is not happening. As i don't no enough about connecting this stuff up,am i missing something or do i have to do something in the router settings.

I've checked all the hub ethernet ports with a patch cable to my laptop and i get a full broadband connection from them all 

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet points in new part of house

You seem to be doing everything ok. Have the new sockets in the extension been tested with an Ethernet cable tester? This would show if they are ok, if some of the 4 circuits are bad or if there are crossed wires. These testers are extremely cheap on Amazon. One thing you could do is, use existing patch cable patched into two of the sockets in the extension. Then plug the ends of these two cables into the hub and see if the LEDs on the hub flash. You could then repeat it for the third cable. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can see from what you have written it should work without any changes to the hub settings.  It rather suggests that the ethernet points haven't been wired correctly.

gingerbones
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was thinking that myself 

Think i will get builders/ electricans back in to sort it 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gingerbones
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm pretty certain they were not.

I think it may have been wired incorrectly,

I've connected the cables to my router then using a known working patch cable i've gone to each point and plugged the patch cable in and attatched the other end into my laptop.

It still shows the laptop using wifi instead of the ethernet port

I've tested plugging the laptop directly into the hub and using the same patch cable to connect to my laptop.The icon changes from a wifi icon to a ethernet connected icon

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@gingerbones wrote:

I was thinking that myself 

Think i will get builders/ electricans back in to sort it 

that might be your problem there. a builder/electrician isn't the ideal person to be doing network cabling.