Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: EU copyright law article 13 and 11(meme ban) this will possibly affect virgin's buisness

@chenks wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

Thank you for demonstrating the harm so clearly; see Guidance, Exceptions to copyright, for instance Fair Dealing.

yes, and i said if the content falls into that category then it's not going to be a problem.
if gets removed incorrectly then you appeal the decision and it'll get restored.

If the implementations are automated filters then content will be blocked on upload and the appeals process, whatever form it takes, is unlikely to be easy or timely.

the only people that need to be worried are those that are using content that isn't fair.

I imagine the same sentiment was echoed when Virgin Media implemented their email spam filters; the only people that need to be worried are those sending spam. Clearly that was not the outcome and harm was done when important emails did not arrive or could not be sent.

i'm sure you would agree that if you spent time creating something, then someone came along and made it available without permission and earned money from it you'd be a little disgruntled.

Guess we will have to wait until the implementations start appearing to see whether it results in creators receiving fair remuneration for the use of their work.

MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: EU copyright law article 13 and 11(meme ban) this will possibly affect virgin's buisness

Bit late to this party, but here goes with a few thoughts and inane ramblings:

They're politicians, so they have to be seen as doing something, (or not) as the case may be.  Memes haven't been banned (Twitter would cease to exist), so you can still nick a picture off a news website, put some words on it using IMPACT (a newspaper font that is trademarked, and is copyrighted if you want to be fussy) and, bingo!  It is a new work with added value (whatever that is). They can't stop it.  It has also been said that Sir Tim Berners-Lee could have had have been the world's first trillionaire by licensing HTTP, the protocol he developed at CERN back in 1989. However, he didn't, and the rest is history.   Such a task would be almost impossible.   BT tried to pop the patent for hyperlinks, but failed.

Copyright has always been a problem, but no one really seems to care in this day and age, and there is plenty of publicly available free stuff, but if you're gonna just nick stuff that's complicated and pass it off as your own, then expect some lawyers to contact you.

GDPR hasn't magically stopped spam...Smiley Surprised

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Timely reminder of the harm automated filters  might will cause: Official EU Agencies Falsely Report More Than 550 Archive.org URLs as Terrorist Content

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Unintended consequences already.  Oh dear.  I get spam emails about GDPR mainly from folk in America whom I've never contacted, but they value my privacy (not VM).  Good to see things working well.Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Unintended consequences already.  Oh dear.  I get spam emails about GDPR mainly from folk in America whom I've never contacted, but they value my privacy (not VM).  Good to see things working well.Smiley Indifferent

TBF just look at YouTube- copyright strikes against content creators from people who have no claim enforceable upheld..

Teh Interwebs will resist censorship, its designed out.

All that will happen is exactly what has happened before- legitimate companies/users that adhere to the letter of the law, will suffer. As noted above, those who dont , wont.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos