cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDNS - Accessing from outside the network

darren-w-gray
On our wavelength

Good Morning Everyone,

So, for reasons that do not match my sanity (or it appears my skill level), I have a bodged together Linux box on my VM home network. It's primary aim is for me to tinker with a few ideas for a work project, but I am too skinflint to pay for a VPS (and it's a good learning curve).

I can access the box from outside the network using Putty, but viewing a test home page (literally 10 lines of html) fails with "Page too too long to respond".

What I know works:

• On the network I can the "web server" set up and /var/www/html/[domain] correctly resolves when I go to 192.168.0.xx/[domain]
  • I have a dynu ddns set up and can access the command line from inside and outside the network using Putty
  • A port checker says that the port is connectable

What I have set up:

• The custom (as in non-80) port is set up in Dynu and presumably as it works for my Putty connection this should work for viewing a web page
  • On my SH3 (in router mode) I have set up port forwarding TCP to send the custom port to the Box (external and internal port is both set at the custom port)
  • On the SH3 the 192.168.0.xx address is reserved for the box

What I have tried:

• Simply putting in the 192.168.0.xx IP internally brings up the Apache2 "successful install" page
  • Using the Dynu URL does not resolve to the same page
  • Using [Dynu URL]:Port does not work for anything (I know, long shot)
  • Using [Dynu URL]/[Domain] reports a "too long to respond" error in the browser.

Now, I am definitrely doing something wrong, but if anyone can see the wood through my forest of trees?

My Broadband Ping - VM Router Mode

Current set-up: SH3 in Router Mode - TP Link Archer AX50 in AP Mode - M350 Fibre / Maxit TV - Talk Weekends (Now via the SH3 -which is great in a power cut)
3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s all because the VM hubs do not support masquerading. Other routers often have an option to turn it off or on.

So from a WAN location  www.myurl.com works, but from a LAN location is does not.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ah - so accessing subdomain.mydynu.url from work will not get to my home box at all....

I only just put the SH3 from modem mode back to router mode as well....

Humbug!

My Broadband Ping - VM Router Mode

Current set-up: SH3 in Router Mode - TP Link Archer AX50 in AP Mode - M350 Fibre / Maxit TV - Talk Weekends (Now via the SH3 -which is great in a power cut)

Umm... this is exactly what I do, although I do now have the hub5.

I use ChangeIP.com to manage my dynamic dns, but I'd expect it to be the same.
At the DynDNS server you have to have an A record for your main domain and also for each of your subdomains (I had missed this latter part originally).

You then have to port forward on your router the required ports to your Linux box, and your Linux box then has to sort out the subdomains.

I am a little confused by your statement "The custom (as in non-80) port is set up in Dynu and presumably as it works for my Putty connection this should work for viewing a web page"

This could be your mistake? PuTTY is (presumably) using port 22 for an SSH terminal connection, (or whatever custom port you've assigned for terminal access), but that won't work for viewing a webpage. Standard HTTP webpages are (by default) on port 80, and encrypted pages are on port 443.

Which ports do you have assigned for which functionality, and have you got your forwardings correct all the way through the chain? (If you don't want to use your ACTUAL port numbers just use some place-holder number in the forum posts).

My Broadband Ping - My VM Connection