Menu
Gooner95
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connecting tv aerial

Hi. 

I need to connect a tv aerial cable to the virgin faceplate on my wall.  The 3c-2v coaxial cable connects to the port on my tv, but does not connect to the tv port on the faceplate. Both cable ends are the same. Does anyone know which cable i need? (It connects to the fm/dab port, but i do not pick up any channels through this)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting tv aerial

VM does not use the TV aerial socket. The F connector on the VM wall box connects to a V6 or TiVo box and this in turn connects to your TV via an HDMI cable. You can just connect an external aerial to you TV as normal, but it does not use any of the VM infrastructure. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are no free services on Virgin, so even if you did connect you would not receive anything. You must rent one of their set top boxes to use their service.

If you need advice about Freeview aerials (which is what you need) please let us know.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Gooner95
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the freeview info would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Gooner95 wrote:

Thanks, the freeview info would be much appreciated

What exactly you need will depend on how good the Freeview signal is in your area. A good guide is to take a look outside at neighbours aerials. If these include many that are fairly small you may get away with a set top aerial. You can readily get these from Amazon/Argos etc. Beware of the large amplified ones that claim they do wonders. An amplifier is no good if the signal it is picking up is sub standard. If neighbours aerials are on the bigger side then you have no option but to join them. Do a search for local aerial contractors & ask for quotes. The installers that are CAI & CAI+ certified are the best. You are looking at around £80 - £100 for a standard installation. In really poor signal areas the size of aerial, lashing kit & possible amplifiers will significantly increase this.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Gooner95
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Do you know which wire i would connect to the virgin faceplate to get freeview? - we’ve got a communal aerial so it’s fed into each flat’s wall socket

thanks again

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No sockets on a standard VM faceplate, they are F type connectors, provide Freeview. It would be a totally separate normal TV plug type socket.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Gooner95 wrote:

Hi

Do you know which wire i would connect to the virgin faceplate to get freeview? - we’ve got a communal aerial so it’s fed into each flat’s wall socket

thanks again

It would be worth checking with the management company/warden or even a neighbour to find out exactly what type the distributed TV system in the flats is.   The faceplate may just be a standard tv aerial socket from the communal aerial and not a Virgin Media cable installation.