cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Windows 11 your experience

Buffer6
Legend

So much talk about Windows 11, I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.

windows 11.jpg

It took just over an hour to make the changes. I had to download an updated bios for my motherboard, which made the necessary adjustments without having to go into the bios sections and manually adjust items, and you have to do that first or the bios won't pass the inspection and the Windows 11 won't install.

So I got it up and running.  Now checking it out, after clicking on the Windows Icon in the taskbar

Installed software wasn't showing anymore and no tiles on the desktop, luckily I had made shortcuts for the most used software in Windows 10, so they were showing on the desktop and taskbar after the installation.

I found it difficult to navigate around after being used to Windows 10, and a lot of the useful menu items were missing on right-click on an icon. The transparency effects no longer worked either.

I missed the weather and speedtest on tiles and the current temperature and state of weather on the taskbar.  I played around with Windows 11 for a few hours before deciding to switch back to Windows 10 😃

The only good thing that I found about it was that it seemed quicker when using Windows explorer.

So if you've tried it or are using it, what  are your views on it?

116 REPLIES 116

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Having used Linux for years before coming back to Windows 10 I think I will give this a miss.

If forced to upgrade then it's back to Linux

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The new windows 11 works well on my acer computer and is fast, however it will only work on newer computers with sufficient memory/storage and fast processor. 

My older laptop from 2014 will not update to windows 11 as the processor is not suitable, so it will stay on window10 which will be supported till 2025.

This seems to happen about every 7 years, I still have an old xp computer from 2007 which is no longer supported.

Same with android, my tablet will not update, running old android kitkat.

This means older computers are then redundant as not supported, unless switching to linux which I have not tried but may give it a go in the future.

There is a health check download from microsoft will advise if the computer will run windows 11, but  windows updates also advise if you can install windows 11 and give you the option for a free update.

The windows 11 is intended to run android apps, which are bought on amazon, so you need an amazon account but I am not sure it is available yet.

I had some hickups installing windows 11, and with it being new hard to find my way around the settings and not as easy as windows10 which I was used to.

All my programmes work with windows 11 so that was good, but it takes a while to get used to the different layout, a lot is the same as windows 10.

That is the only snag, to run windows 11 you may need to upgrade/replace your computer or stay with windows 10 which has a limited life probably 3 years left.

alf28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been running the latest Dev builds for a while now and although MS warned me that they could be buggier, I have had minimal issues so far. Anything I have found has been fixed in a matter of days. None of the bugs have hindered the use of my PC at all, mostely cosmetic.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@ALF28 wrote:

The new windows 11 works well on my acer computer and is fast, however it will only work on newer computers with sufficient memory/storage and fast processor. 

My older laptop from 2014 will not update to windows 11 as the processor is not suitable, so it will stay on window10 which will be supported till 2025.

This means older computers are then redundant as not supported

alf28

sort of true - well thats the microsoft official line - they then link to a reg fix that will allow 11 to go on older pcs - i have just installed it on a laptop with unsupported cpu and the early version of the  TPM chip - it warns that 11 will not update but that seems wrong - mine has just updated with this months updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

Tony.
Sacked VIP

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My PC is also unsupported but I managed to switch to Windows 11 and receive all updates.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Can't thank Microsoft enough.
When they backported telemetry from Win 10 to Win 8.1, that was my cue to ditch Windows all together.

🙂

My windows 10 crashed today after failing to update, and when I eventually managed a very difficult recovery from disc, it is now windows 8 and can not be updated to windows 10 without £119 fee. I had to use the command promt to reset the boot commands, no recovery options worked.

I tried using linux mint on a usb stick but is not very responsive with few options, so am stuck with windows 8 now, using chrome and Firefox browsers.

I may need to renew  my older computer (2014), the windows 8 will not update. Perhaps a chrome book may be better?

At least my antivirus does still work and my printer is ok.

My other computer is running windows 11.

alf28

WINDOWS UPDATES-BACKUPS- loss of data.

My recent crash of windows 10 resulted in the loss of all my files, documents, images, music and programmes.

Unfortunately I had not made a backup, but some images and music may be saved on the cloud I but lost my documents, some specific ones were backed up but lost my historic records going back 7 years.

I thought I would warn others to make sure they back up important files to a usb flash drive, disc or the cloud/one drive etc or sync between computers.

I have backed up my newer computer, but forgot to back up my older computer, big mistake, not even sure what I have lost.

Some recovery options allow data. files to be saved, but in my case none of the recovery options worked.

alf28

Sorry for the inconvenience that you've experienced.

It sounds like you have re-imaged the computer from it's OEM recovery partition?
If you create Windows 10 Installation media (search 'Create Windows 10 installation media' using your search engine of choice and down load the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation tool, you will need a spare USB stick), you should be able to reinstall Windows 10 on your older computer.

My personal preference is to save everything crucial to a NAS (or in my case Linux file server) which gets backed up nightly to another identical NAS (again, in my case file server). I don't store anything important on my desktops/laptops. It did cost a few £££ to set that up but it massively reduces the risk of losing any data.

Thanks for the advice,

Following my windows 10 critical failure, I am running unsupported window 8.

I have the Windows 10 Media Creation tool and a usb drive, but have not yet tried loading windows 10.

I re-imaged the computer to windows 8 and lost my data, which can not be easily recovered, I have tried the free cc cleaner recovery software.

I am managing to  download  my music and photos from Microsoft one drive which I backed up a while back

I am not sure about loading windows 10 as my Asus k55 laptop (2014) struggles with windows 10 updates, often crashing, so may be wise to leave it on windows 8 ??, with a good antivirus package, which works well and both my printers work, my hp printer never worked in windows 10.

I think it has to be windows 8.1 to load windows10, and not sure if it will need a key or payment as the free update stopped years ago.

I tried linux mint in virtual box but did not like that, is it better booting direct from the usb at start-up selecting a usb boot in bios, and would that remove windows?

Is linux as good as windows?

alf28