cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Windows 11 your experience

Buffer6
Legend

So much talk about Windows 11, I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.

windows 11.jpg

It took just over an hour to make the changes. I had to download an updated bios for my motherboard, which made the necessary adjustments without having to go into the bios sections and manually adjust items, and you have to do that first or the bios won't pass the inspection and the Windows 11 won't install.

So I got it up and running.  Now checking it out, after clicking on the Windows Icon in the taskbar

Installed software wasn't showing anymore and no tiles on the desktop, luckily I had made shortcuts for the most used software in Windows 10, so they were showing on the desktop and taskbar after the installation.

I found it difficult to navigate around after being used to Windows 10, and a lot of the useful menu items were missing on right-click on an icon. The transparency effects no longer worked either.

I missed the weather and speedtest on tiles and the current temperature and state of weather on the taskbar.  I played around with Windows 11 for a few hours before deciding to switch back to Windows 10 😃

The only good thing that I found about it was that it seemed quicker when using Windows explorer.

So if you've tried it or are using it, what  are your views on it?

116 REPLIES 116

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Buffer6,

Are you on the insiders programme, or developers?

Just wondering how you managed to get the windows 11 update offered?

Don't have a 'spare' PC to try it on if I could, sadly at the mo.

(always use a non important pc for these sort of things, so if it all goes wrong ( as it sometimes does with Microsoft!!) haven't 'lost' anything vital!!)

Interested more than anything else, basically.  (ie, nosy!)

@HughJarsse wrote:

Buffer6,

Are you on the insiders programme, or developers?

Just wondering how you managed to get the windows 11 update offered?

Don't have a 'spare' PC to try it on if I could, sadly at the mo.

(always use a non important pc for these sort of things, so if it all goes wrong ( as it sometimes does with Microsoft!!) haven't 'lost' anything vital!!)

Interested more than anything else, basically.  (ie, nosy!)

Thanks for the reply.  I joined the insiders on Sunday last just to try out the Windows 11 beta, same day after that I just reverted to the old Windows10 again.

Just using the one PC at the moment.  I used to be in the insiders a few years ago but dropped out, so I know how to revert back again after trying something out.  It was fairly quick to revert back.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A very brave person indeed who does an in-situ Windows upgrade of a beta version and then reverts back again! The final version of W11 appears to be due out tomorrow if all the publicity is to be believed!

Have not tested it out myself and have no kit which would be capable of running the final version. Have looked at the many reviews of it though and none seemed overly enthusiastic about it.

I think Windows has had its day now along with MS Office. So many borked regular updates for both rolled out so often and with so little quality control. Will probably start looking at alternatives to W11 for my own setup when that time eventually comes.

@goslow wrote:

A very brave person indeed who does an in-situ Windows upgrade of a beta version and then reverts back again! The final version of W11 appears to be due out tomorrow if all the publicity is to be believed!

Have not tested it out myself and have no kit which would be capable of running the final version. Have looked at the many reviews of it though and none seemed overly enthusiastic about it.

I think Windows has had its day now along with MS Office. So many borked regular updates for both rolled out so often and with so little quality control. Will probably start looking at alternatives to W11 for my own setup when that time eventually comes.

Windows 10 will be updated to 2025, so you don't have to take Windows 11.  Microsoft are trying to build in obsolescence to the Windows Platforms to keep the cash rolling in.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

After using Windows since PCs first started I gave up on it 2 yeas ago and moved to a Mac. Best thing I ever did, Windows is so top heavy nowadays. I always thought OS/2 was far better than Windows, they both came from the same base product, but unfortunately it was not developed any further.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

been running it for a few weeks on and off installed it to an external drive using WinToUSB so that leaves 10 on the laptop and 11 on the external - boot as required - no idea whats yet to be added tomorrow or whenever - theres a fair bit been removed from 10 and lots of settings in different places 

its fallen over twice and refused to boot and cannot be repaired - that might be the way i am running it or it might be the software

its pretty and seems faster than 10 but that might just be i have nothing else installed - for something to look at i will leave it on the USB drive for the moment

Tony.
Sacked VIP

To be honest,

I was going to jump right in and download it, but my sister-in-law, a certified Microsoft Software Engineer, said to wait until the update appears on your Updates, they don't expect any 'teething troubles' (but then like our Ann says: They are hardly likely to tell you if there was lol). The more that leap right in and force the download through the Insider route, or from a 3rd party, the more chance any issues (if any) will be caught, and more importantly 'fixed' before we have to make a decision. 

That said, anyone moving to 11 can still take the option to revert back to 10 if they wish to then wait a while to retry.

Microsoft will do the updates in order, New builds first, then eligible devices, that could mean you have to wait until mid-2022 before you get to try it out, but we already know you can get it without waiting in line (so to speak) ... For anyone taking the 'cautious' route: you will see this once banner once it's ready:

Windows 11.JPG

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange, I've been using the beta since mid July, but windows still doesn't show an update. So I downloaded the iso instead.

Get it from Microsoft here... Windows 11