Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Combining phone and V6 line in one modular box

Hi guys. Currently in my living room I have two separate white boxes for the phone and V6. I have seen these new modular boxes Virgin seems to be giving to new customers, if they're anything like the modular boxes you get from screwfix, it should be possible to combine the phone and V6 line into one box. I recently combined ethernet and sky+ cables into 1 euro modular box. 

So my question is, if I ring up Virgin and say I want this done, would they do it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re: Combining phone and V6 line in one modular box

no.
virgin only use the specifc wall box that they use, they don't use any others.

if you have two i assume you have an old style telephone socket and a virgin coax socket.
newer virgin connections don't have the seperate telephone box any more and everything is served with a coax cable (the telephone connection coming from the hub).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I've heard and read about voip replacing landline, how would I change to voip, and would changing to voip reduce my subscription charge? I'm currently on the tv/bb M200/phone package. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 49
Flag for a moderator

it would make no difference to your subscription.
why would you want to change to VOIP? having to rely on your hub working properly to get a telephone line seems like bizarre option to choose if you have the choice of keeping an existing seperate phone line.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 49
Flag for a moderator

I just want to get rid of that eyesore in the living room, and I'm doing up the room right now so it's a good opportunity. From what I know, Virgin uses Openreach telephone lines, that would mean the master telephone box must be identical to BT's but with VM branding.

You can buy BT euro modules online (branded and unbranded) with the same spec as the ones BT and VM use. If VM really don't offer landline anymore, I highly doubt a technician would come to sort this out especially for cosmetic reasons. I'll just buy the new VM euro modules on ebay, and a euro module for VM's phoneline and do it myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 49
Flag for a moderator

@Luqybb91 wrote:

I just want to get rid of that eyesore in the living room, and I'm doing up the room right now so it's a good opportunity. From what I know, Virgin uses Openreach telephone lines, that would mean the master telephone box must be identical to BT's but with VM branding.

You can buy BT euro modules online (branded and unbranded) with the same spec as the ones BT and VM use. If VM really don't offer landline anymore, I highly doubt a technician would come to sort this out especially for cosmetic reasons. I'll just buy the new VM euro modules on ebay, and a euro module for VM's phoneline and do it myself.

@Luqybb91 wrote:

Wrong, the VM broadband and telephone network is entirely separate from Openreach. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 49
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure the lines belong to openreach, but Virgin runs their service on Openreach landline infrastructure. TV and broadband is obviously run on Virgins own  coaxial/fibre infrastructure. Could you tell me in what way I'm wrong? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 49
Flag for a moderator

The VM telephone line on installations pre dating the latest changes are carried on a siamese cable alongside the coax that feeds the broadband and TV.

The copper wires from telegraph poles maintained by Openreach have no role in the VM provision.  It is entirely possible to have a VM telephone line without any Openreach cables being connected to the property.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Virgin do not use any of BT/Open reach network.

You can't modify any of the VM cablings yourself. Only VM are allowed to modify./work on it.
And VM still over the phone services

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 49
Flag for a moderator

It's possible I'm mixing up sky with Virgin, but thanks for the clarification. As for the phone socket, what's the actual difference between the BT master socket (pre-installed in my home) and VM's master socket?

0 Kudos