cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco Anyconnect VPN issues only on Virgin

AnthonyW1
On our wavelength

I use a Windows10 work laptop comes locked down with Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.6.03049  (not my choice!!!)

This connectd me to my work network. VPN establishes.

But I cannot then access anything in the work network or go through it to for example connect to google.

I can ping other hosts on the work network. I cannot ping out from work network to google (likely because It must go through the work web proxy so that's effectively two hops).

But if I switch to my mobile hotspot on this laptop which is Three mobile - everything works fine.

In June I switched over from Virgin Domestic broadband and the Superhub3

To Virgin Business Voom 500 and its Hitron modem.

The plan was to get faster access and better customer support.

The only problem with the plan is not being able to use this to connect to my office.

Fine for personal browsing from my non work, Ubuntu laptop.

Useless for connecting into my work network.

I can see from MANY annoyed customer posts that there is a definite problem with VPN's inc the Cisco AnyConnect VPN.

So far I have not reached a brain in virgin media business support. Only a call script powered turn it off and on again - but very polite - and ultimately useless - call centre person.

Can Virgin please

1) ADMIT the problem  - and not just leave it to dozens of annoyed customers on the forums to troubleshoot. VPN packets are being dropped.

2) Fix it for everyone using Cisco AnyConnect VPN - which has to be at least in Europe and USA the most common corporate VPN solution

3) Contact me with a Cisco CCNA qualified person and sort MY problem out.

Pretty please....

15 REPLIES 15

AnthonyW1
On our wavelength

https://libertyshield.kayako.com/article/16-enable-vpn-passthrough-on-virgin-media

If your VPN or VPN router fails to connect and you are a Virgin Media internet customer the issue is more than likely to be that your SuperHub has PPTP and/or L2TP passthrough disabled. 

• Select "Advanced Settings" and click "Yes" to confirm you want to view these
  • Select "Firewall" from the list
  • Tick "IPSec Pass-Through", "PPTP Pass-Through" and "Multicast Pass-Through" at the bottom of the page

So how do I do this on a HITRON modem that you get with Virgin Business packages ?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may get suggestions from community members here, but the VM staff won't be able to assist as this Community is dedicated to the Virgin Media residential offering.

You really need to be persuing this with the VM business support services.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yeah yeah.  Thanks Graham that's really Insightful.... not

But its same cabinet and back end... etc . I am after the advice from experts on these forums. There is no business forum. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/LAN-to-LAN-VPN-via-VMB-Hitron-CGNV4-Router/...

This doesn't look good. It suggest the only solution is to abandon virgin business and the Hitron modem and revert to the "Super"hub 3 and dynamic IP's...

And explains whats happening...

So again

Can Virgin please

1) ADMIT the problem  - and not just leave it to dozens of annoyed customers on the forums to troubleshoot. VPN packets are being dropped.

2) Fix it for everyone using Cisco AnyConnect VPN - which has to be at least in Europe and USA the most common corporate VPN solution

3) Contact me with a Cisco CCNA qualified person and sort MY problem out.

Pretty please....

Shall we assume that I have done that already....if we carefully re-read my post ?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Abusing community volunteers is not going to enhance your cause.  Good luck with going forward.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Oh Graham I'm SO SORRY you feel abused.

Please accept my apology.

You didn't engage on the issue only tried to shush me away to business support.

So some mild sarcasm was the response.

I think if you cant add value - don't bother posting. That's my insight 😀

I do know that the Virgin moderators read these threads and my experience as a VM domestic customer for years was this is a good - in fact the most effective way to get some attention from Virgin engineers.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AnthonyW1 wrote 

I do know that the Virgin moderators read these threads and my experience as a VM domestic customer for years was this is a good - in fact the most effective way to get some attention from Virgin engineers.

Completely agree that this is the best place to get technical and account help for VM domestic customers.

Not the right place for VM business customers.

Business customer. That is just me - a person in a domestic house - realising that I can pay just the same for Voom 500 and a fixed IP (£74/month) that I did for my Superhub 3 and two Tivo boxes that I never used....because Firestick..

So don't think I'm some mega corporation.  😀

And the problem ALSO seems to occur for domestic customers with SuperHub3 - and for those - I posted a suggested Fix. You're welcome 😀

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any issues with VM  Business use the Contact us feature . You are paying for that service and have an SLA with them so use it 

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali