Menu
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can a simple speed upgrade cause issues - and be reversed?

Since posting in these fora, one thing has always bothered me - from my position of ignorance 😎

A good few customers report that after upgrading their speed package (no Hub swap) their connection speeds are much worse.  I assumed the only thing that actually "changed" was the config file in the Hub (and the bill of course 😉 ). 

Is that the case, and if so, what "technical" reasons would cause the degradation of service - assuming that it wasn't related to their device's limitations?  More importantly, if they switch back to their previous package - is it likely their issues would then disappear and all would revert back to the previous state ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can a simple speed upgrade cause issues - and be reversed?

Assuming there isn't a limiting hardware factor, it can all come down to how the speed is tested.

For instance the speedtest.net website suggested a decrease in speed when my account changed from 200 to 350.

Installing their app on my desktop and using that instead showed the speeds to the hub had indeed increased to the levels expected.

My mobile device still maxes out at around 50 Mbps but that is entirely to be expected given the devices capabilities for WiFi connections on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I too experience the issue where the website speedtest.net always show 70mbps slower than the app, from what I understand of web-based speed tests, if can pretty be dependant of the browser when using Edge get pretty much the same as on the  App, Firefox  and Waterfox is slower by 70mbps, for my download speeds.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I usually use speedtest.net on a browser on my Macs - either Firefox or Safari - and it always gives the expected "full speed" at the location (~220 in the room with my router) - if I also then test on their App on any of our iPhones - I also get the same full speeds 🙂

Never used Windows, Linux, Android etc..

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here's today's example where 2 customers are saying their (disconnect) issues only started after going from 100->200

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/wired-connection-keep-dropping/td-p/4314201

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The technical reason for these issues is most likely that the hub was able to cope with prevailing line conditions at the lower speed, but needs better conditions to reliably sustain faster speeds.  Of itself, the Hub 3 will go up to around 700 Mbps under optimal conditions, but as we all know the customer's speed limit is in the config file.  At 100 Mbps a Hub 3 has loads of headroom if line conditions are a bit rough.  Double the speed, and the headroom reduces.  If the hub was previously in the "just coping with a dog-eared line" category, the customer would have probably seen no evidence of that before, now the hub is struggling, and they see issues.

This is particularly relevant to the Hub 4, because DOCSIS 3.1 uses much higher modulation (4096 QAM for the D 3.1 channel compared to 256 for all of the Hub 3 channels), and that means that a consistently high SNR is vital.  Any line quality issues, or a drop in SNR, and it is goodbye service quality.  Plenty of of technical chatter about that if you search the internet for DOCSIS 3.1 SNR.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

gitty
Up to speed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The modulation is up to 4096-QAM. If the SNR doesn't permit that high modulation for a specific modem then it will be lower for that modem.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM has over 5.2m UK broadband customers, so at any time there will always be some whose service will deteriorate and it just happened to coincide with the speed increase. On investigation you'll usually find a rational explanation for the problem such as wrong signal levels or excessive noise.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's like musical chairs at the moment there isn't the capacity to serve everyone, so they have to play musical chairs and someone will always be left without a chair every time they shuffle.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't think that's a good analogy as with musical chairs one person loses out entirely, whereas in an oversubscribed area many (if not most) people will suffer an inferior service. What's important is that VM is doing major upgrades to get the whole country onto DOCSIS 3.1 by the end of 2021 and I will also expect everyone to be able to get Gig1.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos