Menu
Dantro441974
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can I lay my own cable?

I have tried on a couple of occasions to get Virgin installed to be told we are too far away from the road, now what I want to know is am I am to install my own cable up to the point of where it needs to be connected and have virgin connect up to it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I lay my own cable?

If you are too far away from the road the chances are you are too far from the local cabinet to get a viable signal. The longest run from any cabinet on HFC type network is around 200 metres. Anything over this would be unserviceable as you would never get what you pay for.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Dantro441974
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The cabinet I believe is near to the end of my drive and my house is approx 50m from the road. It’s not a straight run and would require a fair bit of work to get the cable down to me.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM certainly wouldn't connect up to any cable you have laid yourself.  They use a very high spec cable with multiple shielding made specially for them ... anything else runs the risk of contaminating the network.

For longer runs they use an even higher spec cable which is what we have installed because our block of flats is set back a long way from the road and street cabinet.  The installers showed me the two cables side by side and it was obvious we were being given the thicker cable.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

VM certainly wouldn't connect up to any cable you have laid yourself.  They use a very high spec cable with multiple shielding made specially for them ... anything else runs the risk of contaminating the network.

For longer runs they use an even higher spec cable which is what we have installed because our block of flats is set back a long way from the road and street cabinet.  The installers showed me the two cables side by side and it was obvious we were being given the thicker cable.

There is nothing special about the cable VM use for broadband and TV. It's pretty cheap stuff purchased in bulk. The only interesting part is that it's hydra cable, has twisted pair telephony attached if the customer orders that. Most customers are probably running on lower quality RG-59.

There's no technical reason why a customer couldn't provide their own cable.

What might be worth doing, however, is to bury some conduit for VM and offer them the option to use that. The main issue is probably the cost and time to dig to the property. Having conduit ready to use will alleviate this and, for a 50m run from the cabinet, RG-6 should be more than adequate.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

'There's no technical reason why a customer couldn't provide their own cable'.

a legal reason such as an invalidation of virgins own insurance and the liability of either party should there be issues as a result would be the stumbling block here.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

@Dave_cq wrote:

There is nothing special about the cable VM use for broadband and TV. It's pretty cheap stuff purchased in bulk. The only interesting part is that it's hydra cable, has twisted pair telephony attached if the customer orders that. Most customers are probably running on lower quality RG-59.

There's no technical reason why a customer couldn't provide their own cable.

What might be worth doing, however, is to bury some conduit for VM and offer them the option to use that. The main issue is probably the cost and time to dig to the property. Having conduit ready to use will alleviate this and, for a 50m run from the cabinet, RG-6 should be more than adequate.

or asking them to simply lay it above ground - nothing special there - they do it all the time - then you bury it - i guess the problem you have is 'computer says no' - you need to get past that - VM here might help - you need a spotter at least and maybe an area manager to discuss options

Tony
0 Kudos
Dantro441974
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I Have no issue how they lay it, we are on a steep gradient which drops down from the road so no easy route apart from above ground.

only reason I would lay the cable is because of distance but nothing really tricky about it. Like you say it’s getting someone out who’s willing to have a chat and listen.

0 Kudos