cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BT use the fibre cables in your homr

Alun135
Dialled in

Virgin keep increasing my bills all the time so I am going to go elsewhere

The virgin cables currently installed around the house can they be utilised by a competitor  saving disruption to the house.

Co axial cables are the same perhaps just different connectors needed are these the same

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Asim just to make sure we are not talking cross purpose.

I mention co-ax as an example of what I was thinking

The white cabling what is inside it and if the connectors were changed could they then be utilised by Ský or BT to transmit a signal from their supply box to their TV box/router thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

asim18
Fibre optic

Afraid not. Only use for coax cable is for piping RF. So you can use it to pipe the signal from a freeview aerial or a satellite dish.

Some CCTV cameras use coaxial cable however check the impedance VM coax is 75ohm.

You can get active media converters which modulate ethernet to RF and RF to ethernet. So you can plug a converter on each end and use it as a kind of botched Ethernet cable.

I cant think of any other uses.

Hi Asim just to make sure we are not talking cross purpose.

I mention co-ax as an example of what I was thinking

The white cabling what is inside it and if the connectors were changed could they then be utilised by Ský or BT to transmit a signal from their supply box to their TV box/router thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It might be technically possible to carry a Sky service on redundant VM cables in your home but fairly doubtful any installer would want to do that. They would be relying on some legacy cabling which they have no information about to provide their new service. I would expect they would want to use their own new cabling, with a spec matched to their own service, so as to ensure it worked reliably and remove the possibility of being called back to any faults caused by someone else's cabling.

A standard Sky Q installation requires two cables.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky satellite requires a twin coax, so it’s unlikely VMs coax would be used. It could be used for Freeview or one of the Freesat single tuner boxes.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The white cabling what is inside it and if the connectors were changed could they then be utilised by Ský or BT to transmit a signal from their supply box to their TV box/router thanks” do you mean for a TV connection or a broadband connection?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

"do you mean for a TV connection or a broadband connection?"

As the white cable goes into a splitter from outside that then goes to both TV and broadband band router.

What exactly is inside the cable is it optic fibre or copper what is to stop bt from using it if either is inside it

After all bt is bringing fibre optic into the home why can connectors just be changed to fit their equipment

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's coax. A thick single core of copper with an outer shield.

BT will not use it. 

The BT fibre optic cable from outside is connected to a device called an ONT.  Then an ethernet cable is connected to a BT router from the ONT.

An ethernet cable has multiple twisted pair wires inside it to carry data between devices. 

Fibre optic is just that fibre optic it carries light. 

Coax is, as I said, a thick single copper core with an outer shield for carrying RF signal.

Your VM cables are redundant and not usable.

Anything external from the Virgin Wall Socket is VM's own cable network. No other ISP can pump anything through the VM wall socket only VM can provide a signal through this wall socket.

But the coax cable left inside your home can be recycled/reused for personal use IF you disconnect it from the VM wall socket. Coax cable is simply high quality aerial wire and you can use it for hooking up a satellite dish to a freeSAT box, or a terrestrial aerial to a freeview set top box. I cant think of any other uses for coax cable.

The coaxial cables are not fibre optic. They cannot be used for FTTP FTTH. nor are they compatible with xDSL services. If you order services from any other ISP they will not be able to re-use the coaxial cables.