Menu
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable modems - looking to the future

With the current release of 500Mbps, within say, the next 3-4 years, "if" we exceed gigabit speeds, does anyone know how Virgin are going to deliver this? Do we suppose they'll use link aggregation on the LAN side (in modem mode)? From some articles, this hub 3 doesn't support docsis 3.1, so theoretical maximum is 912Mbps Down /216Mbps UP, so no need for link agg/10g etc. I'm just curious (as I like to stay well ahead of the curve), would future LAN interfaces be 10 gigabit copper, or 2/3/4x 1gbe 802.3ad (expand-as-you-grow?) Again, this is all theoretical, nothing is confirmed by Virgin yet (nor would they). The adoption of 10 gigabit for consumer is still currently very low due to price points, but once they become integrated into motherboards, I can see the uptake may increase, and demand would go up. Your average "just browse the internet" user would not find any of the above useful, and wouldn't want to fork out any extra cash to upgrade their Lan. Thoughts all? 🙂

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable modems - looking to the future

they will most likely cap the speeds at something like 950mbps to get around the need for more expensive hardware.

Until anyone else comes close to gigabit speeds on a large scale they wont need to go faster

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

With 24 downstream channels the maximum bandwidth available is 1.2Gbps, the rule of thumb is max provision = 1/2 the bandwidth available, 600Mbps, so taking overheads into consideration I think 500Mbps is about as good as it gets.

Some VM areas are using 32 downstream channels, but I think this is just to improve capacity, rather than provide faster speeds.

Docsis 3.1 is going to be the game changer, and it is almost certain the next VM Hub will be Docsis 3.1 compatible, maybe the Arris Touchstone 3452 or similar.

LG companies have started to roll out Docsis 3.1 in other countries like Poland, so it is just a waiting game. As Apcyberax says, market forces are going to have a strong say.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unless there is serious competition at the upper speed end, there is little incentive to go faster than 500Mbps.

I see DOCSIS 3.1 being rolled out in HFC areas when needed, so its introduction will be patchy. In FTTP areas, VM can replace DOCSIS by deploying EPON alongside RFoG, so the R-ONU at the customer's premise will output RF over coax for TV and Ethernet for the hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

besides, is there really any need for >500Mbps in a house environment?
i would say no.

i would much rather they tried to bring the upstream higher than continually pushing the downstream.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

DOCSIS 3.0 is quite capable of delivering 500/50 but you'd need four 64QAM upstream channels to reliably delivery that, and it needs investment to deploy this service across the whole country.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos