Menu
evemarine
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband prices,speeds, useage,traffic...

Don't know if this is the right spot to ask? Cat Frustrated

Have been told today that we are heavy data users (500GB p/m??)  and no other UK provider could offer us a suitable package if we decide to leave Virgin. How true is this?

Our use:  streaming internet TV/music/Netflix/browsing. No gaming. Usually someome at home. 

I know Virgin has probably the best network but it's traffic management does affect us and we get maybe 20mbps  (we have the 150mbps package) or less in the evenings for example which  ok (especially compares to some people's speeds I know) can be slow. We also get lots of Wi-Fi drop outs and constant switching between 2g and 5g which is a real pain when browsing or shopping on line. It's frustrating when you thinknyou are paying for one of the best services available.

I notice other ISPs say they do not traffic manage, but offer, e.g. up to, 64 mgps max - so would we get better speeds with this or a fraction of the speeds at times like with virgin?

I wanted to cancel my t.v. package and just have broadband/phone a) to save a bit of money and b) because we really don't watch many of the channels paid for anymore and we have always HATED the virgin tv box and interface and the catch up tv often fails on it.

When calling to do this it wasn't very easy to get a good result. I was told I couldn't have any offers and was quoted about £10 more than I think fair. I was imagining £35 or £40 but was quoted £52 still with basic tv whether I want it or not! New customers get £29 for 12 months.

I feel like taking a risk and maybe trying bt for example, as it seems like the same old story of long term customers having to fight to get a deal but new ones get the good stuff 😂 and I don't quite understand enough about about the technicalities of broadband to make a good choice as to mobe or not...if anyone is still awake after reading this...well done Cat LOL and any thoughts ?!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband prices,speeds, useage,traffic...

Virginmedia stopped the traffic management awhile ago, could be down to high utilisation, when testing the speed is this via WiFi or wired?

As for pricing can be cheaper to have bundle compared to solo, you wouldn't be able to get new customer pricing would need to totally leave provider for more than 3 months to qualify

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
evemarine
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband prices,speeds, useage,traffic...

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

We actually left and went with bt some time ago.

Couldn't be happier so far. Consistent speeds and no dipping in and out like we had with virgin. Cheaper too.

0 Kudos