Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking online gaming at certain times only

There is a general pessimism in this thread about the ability to control timed usage of the Hub3 - rightly so. It is not easy.  But as you wish to block in a single time period (starting at one minute past midnight - ie 00.01) I would suggest you have a look see if MAC filtering would work for you. I think the real problem is that there may not be a timer you can set. It is all or nothing/on or off. And you'll need access to the devices to grab the MAC addresses.

The system is easily defeated with a Hub reset. Your 18 year old wouldn't do that - would he?

Others may jump in and tell me I am wrong about the Hub3. I haven't got one. But worth a look?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering#hub3

I wonder whether a technological solution is always best, appropriate or conducive to family harmony though.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Superfast
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blocking online gaming at certain times only

Your more better off in selecting modem mode and buy your own decent router with good features including better timer scheduling and block their devices on a timer using MAC address
0 Kudos