Menu
Butterflybooth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Blocking online gaming at certain times only

Is there a way of blocking online gaming ONLY at certain times of the day or night. I know I can switch off broadband but this won't help as I still want to be able to use the internet, Netflix,etc. I want to block online gaming between midnight and 8am to prevent a child staying up into the early hours of the morning playing online.

0 Kudos
chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking online gaming at certain times only

don't think there is a way using the stock virgin hub.
one might suggest the easiest way is to simply remove the gaming equipment from the childs room during those times.
0 Kudos
Butterflybooth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I would do if the child wasn't an over 18! Unfortunately he plays until 3/4am and this is a problem in the morning when it comes to getting up.

0 Kudos
chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

an "over 18" isn't a child, and as such surely it's up to them if they want to stay up and play games?
if there is a problem getting up in the morning then that is their issue and for them to deal with any problems it may bring.
0 Kudos
Butterflybooth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input but I thought this forum was for asking questions and getting answers related to Virgin Media (Not for opinions on my parenting) Bearing in mind I am the one who pays for the broadband, I think I have the options of deciding how and when it is used. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you got the answer where it was related to virgin media... as in the viring hub does not offer a solution for you to do what you want. i offered an alternate option.

however, someone 18 is not a child and if they wish to waste their time playing games then surely that is up to them.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

if you dont want them to use the internet do not let them connect and do not give them the password

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i have a relative who is over 18. the mum pays the bill. he was on until all hours too and had the lurgy on a regular basis. after a late session so didn't go to work.

she turns the net off when she goes to bed and takes the power lead with her unless he is off on holiday/the weekend. it solved the problem although has made their relationship strained on occasion.

JJG1992
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Download Virgin media Connect app log in to it with the email and password you use on my virgin media, scrole down to connect now and follow the instructions on connecting your Router. ones all connected it will tell you how menny devises are connected and you can rename them and pause internet to indervidual devises cant set a timer on it but u can decide when to manualy pause and unpause internet to devises. 

jbrennand
Superstar
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I did this when my kids were in their teens - but I dont think it can be done (easily if at all) on a VM Hub. I have always had my Hub in modem mode and used my own (more advanced) wifi router(s) which offered that facility. I set time windows for each of their devices at different times on different days. Worked brilliantly.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.