Menu
Highlighted
jestaminnit
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Blocking Tel numbers

Hello everyone

Does anybody know, if as a Virgin Media customer, can I block certain tel Numbers. I have received a call from the following number 5 times today 0128499288, it's a recorded message allegedly from Talk Talk, informing me my internet is going to be cut off due to security issues I am on TPS, but cannot report them as, when I check their number, there is no company name attached to the number 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking Tel numbers

You would need a call blocker facility on your handset.  However, these scammers regularly use spoof caller IDs and change them frequently, so can quickly run out of space to block more numbers.

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a phone that asks any number not in my allowed list to say who they are, the phone then ask me if I want to talk to them.

Since installing the phone I have had zero cold callers, and anyone not in my phone book who have needed to talk to me, are willing to say who they are and wait for me to allow them. You can though see all the attempted calls.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@stevedh2 wrote:

I have a phone that asks any number not in my allowed list to say who they are, the phone then ask me if I want to talk to them.

Since installing the phone I have had zero cold callers, and anyone not in my phone book who have needed to talk to me, are willing to say who they are and wait for me to allow them. You can though see all the attempted calls.

I've encountered those when doing arranged call backs (for the company I work at) to some customers who requested a call back, they do seem to work well. 

jestaminnit
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Steve
Thanks for that, sounds brilliant, where can I buy one, are they expensive, and are they easy to use?
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can find them on Amazon https://amzn.to/2RJ8wmn I have the BT8600 works great, I mostly have it on the do not disturb, only numbers on my vip list can get through then Smiley Happy I also have a pay as you go mobile phone for other numbers, the number of which I give to those that need to ring back

MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's pretending to be from Bury St. Edmunds, but there's not enough digits, which is why a lookup yields no results. https://geopunk.co.uk/phone-area-codes/01284-Bury-St-Edmunds

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have a BT4600 which works well. That one was chosen though because my wife wanted a 'proper' answer phone as well.

Also as she works night, when she wants to sleep I stick it on do not disturb which as mentioned before only lets through 'vip' numbers.

dles1966
Settling in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, what phone is this and do you have the phone connected via the Virgin Hub?
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@stevedh2 wrote:

I have a variant of this (actually an addition) and I was very pleasantly suprised how well it works.  It's not for everyone because setting it up is non-trivial but I'll mention it in case it's of interest to anyone.  Basically, it's Asterisk software that is configured to answer *every* call with a very short voice message before ringing the house phones.  This message says "This is [my telephone number].  Please wait while we connect your call".  If the calling number has been provided, it then rings the house phones and connects the call.  If it's number-witheld, it then asks the caller to identify themselves before putting the call through.

Somewhat to my surprise, the short voice message is sufficient by itself to filter out all cold calls.  I think what happens is that the automated dialling systems used by cold callers and scammers interpret the voice message as an answering machine and not worth continuing with, so they all *without exception" drop the call at that point.  This system has reduced around five unwanted calls a week to zero.