Menu
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any recommendations for a wired router please?

I'm considering replacing my old LinkSys router as it's throttling my connection speed, and would value any advice please on a suitable replacement.

I have a Super Hub 3 in modem mode, with the router only used to connect the hub to two desktop PCs using wired connections only. I cannot stress too highly that I do not use WiFi at all and therefore the quality of the router in that respect is irrelevant. I do, therefore, need to be able to disable the WiFi function.

Many thanks for any advice/recommendations.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any recommendations for a wired router please?

If your looking to go fast wired with a firewall
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyWALL-Firewall-balancing-recommended-support/dp/B07DC8S3CF/ref=sr_1_1?dchi...
then add wireless AP

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Take a look at Ubiquiti routers, they are just routers not multi function devices and do not have an inbuilt Wireless Access Point.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Seffrid wrote:

I'm considering replacing my old LinkSys router as it's throttling my connection speed, and would value any advice please on a suitable replacement.

I have a Super Hub 3 in modem mode, with the router only used to connect the hub to two desktop PCs using wired connections only. I cannot stress too highly that I do not use WiFi at all and therefore the quality of the router in that respect is irrelevant. I do, therefore, need to be able to disable the WiFi function.

Many thanks for any advice/recommendations.

This should be good for your needs:

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ 

A few buying links:

https://www.netxl.com/network-routers/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-x-router/?utm_source=google&utm_me... 

https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-x-erx-p-6433.html 

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the edgerouter-X has limited thruput though if you enable the intrusion detection etc.
it's a good device if your connection speed is no more than 200MBps.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you're not using wireless, and only have two connected devices, why buy a router at all?  The Hub 3 is mediocre, but it's quite capable of managing the load of two etherent PCs?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Seffrid
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

If you're not using wireless, and only have two connected devices, why buy a router at all?  The Hub 3 is mediocre, but it's quite capable of managing the load of two etherent PCs?

Reliability including stability of the connection for gaming, plus the quality of separate routers over the Hub 3 really. I've read so many comments from users recommending modem mode. I'm open to different views, however.

Thanks all for the various suggestions thus far. I'm looking at the links and there seem to be issues with some of them in terms of availability and mixed reviews especially in relation to the level of networking knowledge required - mine is absolutely nil. All food for thought, however, and much appreciated.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

most people recommend modem mode to fix WIFI related issues.

the Edgerouter-X is quite an old device, but still very capable, it does require quite a bit of networking knowledge to configure it to get the best outcomes from it though, it's a business grade device, not a consumer grade device.

i used for a while some time ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Reliability and stability of the Hub 3 will be fine for gaming over ethernet - all the negativity about the Hub 3 stems from two things: The Puma chipset flaw that was very successfully fixed* two years or more ago, and the fact that its wifi is weak.  As a router it's entirely capable managing up to twenty or so devices, and in your position I'd expect it to work perfectly.  If you introduce another router then there's something else to resolve if your connection ever goes a bit awry, and I really can't see that you'd have any benefit.

Of course, if your latency isn't as clean as or better than the example trace below**, then your best improvement might be to move to Openreach.

* The great surprise of many, including myself.

** A good day at Andruser Towers:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos