cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good reason to not use Cat7 Ethernet cable

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is not an IEEE standard and is not approved by TIA/EIA. Most people believe because It one number higher than 6 it must be better!

See this:

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Networking/what-is-cat7-and-why-you-don-t-need-it

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
4 REPLIES 4

MrHalfAsleep
Community elder

There's also Cat8 (which likes Whiskas).  It's not cheap either.  Cat5e is more than adequate for most jobs.  There doesn't seem to be a Cat9 or 10.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=cat8+ethernet+cable&cvid=ca7c9c0f41d94768bc7442db59154ebf&aqs=edge.2.6... 

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Call me old-fashioned but I only use cat5e because:

• It's only in my living room
  • None of my devices such as PCs, NAS, switches and router support more than 1Gbps
  • Anything I stream never gets anywhere near 1Gbps
--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I recalled this thread from a couple of years ago with comments from "kippies"... that the Hub3 "preferred" Cat6 to Cat5e.

I cant comment from a technical perspective,but what do you chaps think?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/ethernet-connection-floating-between-20-and...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Real difference between Cat5e and Cat6 is there is much better cross-talk provision on Cat6. Basically there are more twists per meter and insulation separation between pairs. If you run in modem mode with a short cable between hub and router, mine is about 20cm, it makes no difference what cable you use. For future proofing, which is the bandwagon everyone seems to be hoping on at the moment, the real answer is fibre. Pre terminated fibre is very cheap these days, I can remember when we started first using fibre and a termination or splice cost thousands of pounds.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2