cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

live tv online when 'away' is a bit of a joke

GRW53
Tuning in

I've never had a straightforward simple access to my Virgin programs while away from home....

Should be simple shouldn't it...?

Load the app select the program and watch.... until you find the app won't run on the device you have. so you try to access through a browser, only to find that browser isn't compatible with sky...so you then download another browser  or try to,  but because you are tethering to your virgin phone  it takes forever so you give up with that option.

You then decide to watch something that doesn't rely on a sky player, only to find that you're blocked due to copyright ...

You end up watching the channels that you don't need virgin for in the first place...

Why is Virgin so crap..?

Virgin shout about watching virgin wherever you GO......but in reality, Virgin rely on every other provider's software/apps and you never know whether what you have is end to end compatible until you try it and 9 time out of 10, it isn't....

I believe the packages offered by Virgin are probably the best value for money on the market BUT have always been let down by their amateur approach to TV on the GO....they have never got it right and they have never listed a compatible device from which all providers and all programs can be accessed from.....

24 REPLIES 24

Just to be clear, 'Very Insightful Person'....  I do know now that I can't do what I'd like to do....I've discovered that while being away on hols..... 

My point when I started this, is that Virgin say i can enjoy my TV package while away from home.....and i would like them to publish its many limitations so that its loyal customers, like myself, can be prepared before they leave home.....

If it only works on mobiles then say so....if it doesn't work on certain browsers say so etc.

Having been a Virgin customer from their cable conception, I am aware that Virgin like to hide all their little issues and they seem to be able to influence a lot of people that that's OK...perhaps its by labeling them as 'very insightful'

As I said previously Virgin offer the best value for money in the market place, but their TV on the GO has never cut the mustard......

OK.....you don't see that as a problem and choose to defend their position  and that's OK, but don't side step my issues by suggesting I go elsewhere.....I don't believe you even understand what I was trying to do and to say I can't do it doesn't seem 'very insightful' to me...

Anyway if that's all you have to say...thanks but no thanks.......

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GRW53 wrote:

If it only works on mobiles then say so....if it doesn't work on certain browsers say so etc.

Taken from the bottom of https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/go-control 

japitts_0-1654935637428.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your  reply....

I haven't seen that caveat and I tried the link you posted and couldn't find it on that page...perhaps its under one of the links on that page..?

It certainly goes someway toward suggesting there are limitations, but doesn't tell you what they are.....

LG TV is an IOS device so the one I have is obviously on the limitation list........wherever that list might be...

So using my laptop is fine and not 'illegal'.......and connecting a large screen to it using HDMI also seems ok with Virgin....

However, quality of picture and sound is questionable.....copyright is still an issue, but you seem to think that that is something to do with my laptop,  but I can add that my laptop didn't stop any programs when I've used it at home, so I'm not sure how it can be anything to do with the laptop as such. I know that I'm not the only one with this issue while using a laptop, as I've found other threads  but I haven't yet found a solution suggestion that has fixed the issue...

Having to exit Virgin to use the sky player to watch Virgin/Sky channels is also an issue as the sky player adds layers of software that cause buffering, reloads, sound stuttering etc. whilst watching a Virgin channel doesn't have the same problems....... Again something that Virgin are not upfront about...

Virgin also rely on the customer to have opened accounts with BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc  to watch channels from those providers, so the basically Virgin are hiding that for a complete service through TV GO you need everyone else's apps / players. 

Anyway...thanks for the help but I still think their marketing of TV GO is a joke...sorry...

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What?

An LG TV is an iOS device?

No.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Another useless response. The point of my message was in response to the Virgin statement they SOME iOS devices may not work.

Yes..all lg TVs (to my knowledge) are iOS devices and I was making the point that Virgin don't list which ones..

If you are really a very insightful member I suggest you try reading the context of what you are replying too...

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what I can tell, LG TV's have the facility to casting from compatible iOS devices.

That's a different thing from being an iOS device in its own right. Not to mention the casting limitation.

Thanks but I'm not sure what you're referring to....casting is not part of my set up...

Anyway thanks to both for you insights....and I'll continue to watch Freeview as Virgin TV GO remains a joke...

Bye..

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m sorry but iOS is the Apple operating system for iPhones and iPads (where it’s called iPadOS).

No TVs run iOS. In fact, only Apple devices run iOS.

Yes ...it's WebOS on LG TV's..

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So. Do Virgin Media say that the Virgin TV Go app can be downloaded to some WebOS devices but not give a list?