Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 41 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Re: iOS app now woefully slow to connect

I don't normally answer questions on this issue because it is not within my field of expertise. However you will wish to know that I have asked the VM Forum staff to consider again what has been said in response to this issue of slow connection.

Your pain has not gone unnoticed!

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
pauls_griff
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Fingers crossed but ........

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 43 of 82
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hi rhwilliamsltd

Sorry to hear it's still taking a while to connect 

We are not aware of anything that may be causing the delay 

Regards 

Gareth_L Forums Team 

@Gareth_L  I'd like to put my own thoughts forward on this.

This has been reported as an issue since July last year, numerous customers including a fellow superuser have all confirmed it's an issue.

So my question to you is this.

Rather than say "We're not aware of anything that's causing the delay." - Why don't you or your colleagues raise this with the relevant teams.  I'm assuming you are all second tier support staff, if not why not?

The whole point of the Forum is that users come together to solve problems, BUT when needed Virgin Media representatives such as yourself step in and take a look at the problems and escalate them.

In short - Virgin have been asked for the last 6 months to deal with the problem.  Now I'm asking you directly - what do YOU plan to do about this next?

I look forward to your response.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 44 of 82
Flag for a moderator

IMHO Virgins lack of action on the matter is inexcusable.

They have KNOWN this is an issue for some time, and cant even step forward to explain to their SUBSCRIBERS what the issue may be and an ETA for a fix. Or apologise. Or well, anything.

Although the app is seen by VM as "a free add on" they are quick to tell potential customers how great the service is and as such, I believe it would be seen as a material part of a contract with them. By extension, it can be seen as  affecting a decision to purchase or indeed renew. With that in mind it may well be the case that the regulator would see the current position of the app (basically unusable) as either a breach of contract, or a service interruption, with the requirement to compensate customers that goes hand in hand with that. Either is fine with me.

I would further propose  that the ASA would be VERY interested in the fact that an advertised part of a VM package has been unusable for such an extended period of time, yet still appears on advertising.

I think it is time that as paying customers we are treated with SOME respect and receive a a PROPER explanation of what the issue is and what is being done to resolve it.

Over to you VM....

Cueball99
Fibre optic
Message 45 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I fully agree that this is an issue that needs to be fixed and is annoying, I don't agree that it makes the app unusable.

I know it our modern world if it isn't instant we all get inpatient, but after the 40 odd seconds wait the app works perfectly, or at least it does for me.

That said this issue only happens when connected to your home network, when connected to my phone network or other WiFi it connects in a few seconds.

I also can't help but think that resources are being put on the Horizon update that may arrive at some point this year and issues like this are being ignored to get the other update ready.

0 Kudos
pauls_griff
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 82
Flag for a moderator

@Cueball99 wrote:

Whilst I fully agree that this is an issue that needs to be fixed and is annoying, I don't agree that it makes the app unusable.

I know it our modern world if it isn't instant we all get inpatient, but after the 40 odd seconds wait the app works perfectly, or at least it does for me.

That said this issue only happens when connected to your home network, when connected to my phone network or other WiFi it connects in a few seconds.

I also can't help but think that resources are being put on the Horizon update that may arrive at some point this year and issues like this are being ignored to get the other update ready.

But it was not always like this . It use to be really quick. I would just like it to work in the short time like it use to .

Now you must agree with that???

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 47 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Apologies for the ongoing issues with the response time of TV Control.

I can confirm our app team is aware of this issue, they're working on a fix currently.

We're also working on a new update for the app, which will be released soon.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Cueball99
Fibre optic
Message 48 of 82
Flag for a moderator

@pauls_griff wrote:

@Cueball99 wrote:

But it was not always like this . It use to be really quick. I would just like it to work in the short time like it use to .

Now you must agree with that???

I do, read my first paragraph.

I only disagree that the app is unusable.

Gemsteal
Tuning in
Message 49 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Just adding my name to the list of 'still getting problems' on slow app connection.

Been looking at the blog for a while and though pleased to hear VM say they are addressing it (i hope in a new app update) I think you should always adopt the mantra 'if you don't say anything  then it must be alright'.

Everything these days should be geared around customer experience and responsiveness for a company and they should recognise  that platitudes and apparent inaction only serve to rile the customer.

I think the TV Control and TV go apps are great and use them more and more (if you have the tech and data package you got to use it!). Sad that it may be but I have started to watch recordings from 'myshows' on my TIVO box over the wifi network on my iphone propped up by my computer as I work (i don't want the TV on). It takes an age to connect the TV Control app, my iphone screen times out as I work on waiting for it to connect , or it connects before I finish what i am doing and the screen saver comes on and it drops the connection again so i have to start the process again Smiley Happy Very frustrating Smiley Happy

Please hurry up and resolve this problem after 9 months or so of issues Smiley Happy

pauls_griff
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 82
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B wrote:

Hi,

Apologies for the ongoing issues with the response time of TV Control.

I can confirm our app team is aware of this issue, they're working on a fix currently.

We're also working on a new update for the app, which will be released soon.

So can we have some more info??

Will do this is reverse, working on a new update for the app.  What is the update for?  When the app does eventually connect it is great.  Its functionally after connecting is fine.  So the only update needed is to to improve connection time.  Please fix this first before making any other changes (of course security and software updates aside)

The app team is aware.  When were they aware?  issue first raised in this thread July 2018.  On 10 January Gareth seemed to indicate there was not an issue.  Well nothing slowing it down.  Also what is the timing on the fix for the issue.

Finally, this thread is now showing as solved.  Sorry but I do not know how these boards work, but until a fix/update comes out it is not fixed.  A promise of a fix is not a fix.  So why does it say it is?

At least some progress.