cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the quality so bad?

MisterBran
Joining in

I watch TV when I'm away from home on Virgin TV Go and also on Sky Go.  The picture quality on Virgin TV Go is, quite simply, abysmal.  Watching the same channels on Sky Go, the picture quality is much better.  Also watching channels like "Quest" on its own channel the picture is miles better.  All of the Discovery channels on Vorgin TV are nearly unwatchable.   The picture quality is not even up to SD quality.  I have a 250 MB connection so speed is not an issue.  Why is the quality on Virgin so bad?

11 REPLIES 11

RV_09
Tuning in

Hi,

I have also noticed this more recently. In the past week since they have updated their iOS app, the quality has been blocky and pixelated. Very poor considering it has been pretty good for the past few months. Not too sure what is going on and again, we have really good wi-fi coverage so that is not the issue for us.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem with Discovery may be connected to the launch of the Discovery Plus package.  Are Discovery driving customers to a Dicovery Plus subscription by deliberately reducing the picture quality on all other platforms?

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MisterBran

Thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear of the picture quality on TV Go.

Is this for all channels or select ones please? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Has anyone found a solution to this? The picture quality on my TV Go app on my 12.9 ipad is shockingly bad - it’s like I’m on a 56k modem from 1995. 

my virgin speed is 600mbps. All other streaming apps are perfect on my ipad - Now TV, Netflix etc.

anyone know what’s wrong?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @halliwells999

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post concerning the picture quality on TV Go. I'm so sorry to hear that the picture is not upto standard.

Can you please confirm for me if the quality is bad for you on all TV go channels or just select ones?

Thanks,

Serena

Hi Serena,

the poor quality is on all channels. I have tried changing the stream quality from high to automatic but it’s still awful.

hope you can help me.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the details @halliwells999

Have you tried watching the TV Go app on any other devices? Is the picture quality still bad on them, or does this only happen when watching on your iPad?

Best wishes,

Serena

Yes tried it on an Android phone and windows tablet - all are poor quality.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @halliwells99

Can you try deleting and then re-installing the app please? Let me know if this improves things.

Can you confirm that the poor quality of the stream continues on the web browser of the TV Go account, or is it restricted to when you use the TV Go application? What version of the application are you using?

Would you be able to run a Speed Test virg.in/speedtest on your iPad and post the results on here?

Thanks,

Serena