Menu
Highlighted
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Which Android Tablets do work fully with TV Controls download and streaming?

I'm back with Virgin Media and even bought an Android Tablet to use with TV Control as neither of my Windows 10 tablets are supported. My tablet make/model is Tetrapad Casebook 3 and on paper it meets the system requirements for TV Control.

I actually tried two of these devices with my new V6/Hub 3 setup and neither would download or stream programs from the V6 box. As these devices both had an unrelated other problem, (the second one was a replacement to see if the problem had gone away) I returned it for a refund. Although downloads to the tablet would commence, they never completed and I'd get the same or similar error messages asking me to try again - trying again made no difference. The matter was escalated to second level tech support in Swansea who raised a ticket and said they'd get back to me - they haven't.

Virgins website mentions 'Virgin TV Control is tested on a range of different flagship mobiles and tablets and will work on the majority of supported Android devices.' My question is, what are the compatible Android (not iOS) tablets? Can anyone actually download and stream from the V6 box to any Android tablet reliably?

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Which Android Tablets do work fully with TV Controls download and streaming?

A couple of days on there are over 30 views of my post but no reply. Rather than asking just for success stories of tablets that do work properly with TV Control to download and stream previously recorded content from V6 boxes (I'm thinking there may not actually be any such Android tablets?), any tablets which don't work would be useful to know about (so I can rule them off my potential shopping list).

What are the Superusers here using (or have tried) either with or without success? Although Virgin Media have a (very old) pdf listing devices tested to be compatible with TV Anywhere, the newer TV Control offers the ability to download and stream content from the V6 box to compatible phones and tablets (well at least that claim is made) and I've not found any updated compatible or tested devices list so it's important I hear from VM's customers who've tried this to get some pointers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Which Android Tablets do work fully with TV Controls download and streaming?

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

Thank you for your post.

We have investigated this for you and unfortunately the Tetrapad casebook 3 is not compatible with the TV control app. Unfortunately we can't support every tablet on the market.

Below is not an exhaustive list, however these have been confirmed to work with the TV control app and are the most used with our customer base.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Virgin Media Telly Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
Nexus 7

Thanks

Lindsey_C

Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for that information Lyndsey_C. I've read a good review from a person using an Amazon Fire 10 HD tablet and as there's an offer on with these currently, I may try one. I was in a fairly local Samsung shop on Sunday and the shop assistant installed the Android TV Control App on a Samsung S4 'flagship' tablet. It did mention in the Google Play Store that this app wasn't optimised for the device however (the same message I got with the Casebook 3). I noticed you listed a Galaxy Tab S and a Tab 4 - is the Tab S4 also fine for downloading and streaming recordings from the V6 box?

I'm REALLY surprised to read that no users have chipped in with their own personal experiences, either good or bad so please people, don't be shy. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The list I have provided earlier was the full list of fully compatible devices for the TV control app given to us by our support team. There may be other devices that work with TV control, however, this would need to be trialled on an individual basis.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.5" 2018 edition) does indeed work with TV Control (despite it also getting the 'not optimised' warning) however I would describe the Apps reliability as 'fragile' when it comes to playing back downloaded programs from the V6 box offline or even sometimes just downloading them... Especially Aircrash Investigation!

Much better than with the Casebook 3 but the app developers must try harder to make its functionality more robust.

0 Kudos