Menu
mikefox
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Where do I go now to record programs ?

Following the introduction today of TV Go/Control I can't see how to remotely record a program from my desktop PC (Windows 10)

The TV Guide does not seem to offer an option to record as before.

The Manage My Tivo section works fine as before.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Where do I go now to record programs ?

This can no longer be done from the PC version.

To set recordings on a TiVo or Virgin TV V6 box, you'll need to use Virgin TV Control on an Android or iOS device.

mikefox
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

To set recordings on a TiVo or Virgin TV V6 box, you'll need to use Virgin TV Control on an Android or iOS device.

Oh dear

So much for the 'amazing new Virgin TV experience" promised to me in the leaflet I received today .

TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

Well that's an annoying backwards step Smiley Sad I have used this function on quite a few occasions. Yes, I could have gone upstairs and set my V6 directly but I didn't need to. Now, it seems, I do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have to agree, totally useless. I have been unimpressed since TVA was initially released but I thought that I would give the new version a try.

Do VM actually consult their customers?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
pcsteve
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

This new service is meant to offer more!

It however offers much less functionality than before!

I am sick and tired of this VM **bleep**. Smiley Sad

omen
Dialled in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have to agree its the most useful function that i used on the web based tvanywhere.

Simply madness to remove it as most people at work with a pc or out in the field with a laptop want to set their tivo.

What these so called developers dont understand is that users dont mind small tasks on phones but most people prefer a large screen to scroll through tv listings and set recordings etc

Beyond me what they were thinking but there is a way round this although why we should be forced to do this is also crazy.

Install a virtualization system - I prefer NOX as i have tried many and its the fastest and most compatible with most of my machines old spec and new.

Create your virtual machine by selecting a Samsung phone or tablet then just install the tvgo app and you have it on your desktop.

Roundabout way of getting the functionality back and it is pretty slow on older machines so if you have a fast desktop or laptop all the better.

Its the only solution until Virgin realise what a horrendous mistake they have made.

Why didnt they ask users what they need from the apps - simple i would have thought and we would have never lost the record option but oh no

these so called developers and analysts are about as usfeul as a chocolate tampon! Whoever the managers for this project are they should all be summarily fired!

VMViewer
Superfast
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Like others, I agree that it's an appalling backwards step to remove this basic core functionality from the website.

omen
Dialled in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Haha you have to laugh i have just noticed on my Android phone when I try and do certain things in TVGO up comes a message from Virgin saying we are having some issues with tvgo lol

Even on the updated tivo control in tvgo websiteCapture.JPG when you go into myshows and select a show it wont tell you the station it was recorded on now.
See the graphic below in the bottom left hand corner is a spinning gif where the tv station is suppoed to be - go on test it out.

Thats so basic and yet was missed by the testing team lol

Everything was working before on all my systems and browsers and now there are bugs everywhere.
What a disaster when there are experienced 30 year veteran machine code systems software developers like myself who would have fully tested their new apps and provided full feedback and improvements to the code for free (or for a free Tivo 6 lol).

Now its all gone to pot.

The thing is its not just Virgin as the new Talktalk Firmware upgrade to the Youview DN372T boxes is a joke as well.
You cant even see what programmes it is recording or change them and the new update has stopped the remote access working with mobiles and they
have removed so many features just so it has a fancy graphical front end - what a joke and people are expected to launch headfirst into IOT when hackers can access your heating system , ip cameras and lights over the internet - all for the sake of automation eh!

0 Kudos
JayAy
Dialled in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Well at least we know that VM can hit one target; as long as they are shooting at their feet, they are bound to score a direct hit.

One of the few functions that worked reasonably reliably with TV Anywhere was the ability to quickly set a recording via a web browser wherever you were. I can't wait to see what fantastic improvements come next? Maybe removing the colour form the TV signals to save bandwidth to give everyone an improved service? Who knows, with a bit of a marketing spin it will probably been seen as a major step forward, especially when accompanied by yet another inflation busting price hike - we are surely due on soon as it's been a couple of months now since the last one.