Menu
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 21 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where do I go now to record programs ?

Thanks for the reply Rose_B. Although we've received a somewhat boilerplate this can't be done anymore on browsers type reply, clearly this is a popular feature and it means the new TV Go app does NOT in fact do all that TV Anywhere used to do and more - contrary to your advertising claims. This is one of several threads on the subject with LOTS of people voicing their concerns. Its even gone to the top with people writing to management about it.

Given you clearly still have the web page code to put this feature back, why not do so?

Merely stating the new situation, is not answering peoples questions. Giving the full picture will go much further and if useful functionality is taken away, the company better have a very good reason for doing so and tell their customers what that is!

Now I realise YOU can't change this current webpage programming to give that functionality back but you CAN escalate the matter to ask management:

1. why they've done this
  2. What they will do about the, at best, misleading and at worst, a breach of advertising laws, claim that TV Go does all You could do in the past and more
  3. If its good enough to still be a function on Android, Amazon Fire and Apple iOS device apps, given TiVo developed an app some time ago to perform most of the functions of TV Control on Windows devices, why aren't Virgin Media releasing a Windows version of the app to do this? How much 'spoon feeding' of a nearly ready made solution does VM need?

On a more positive note I see that VM's website now mentions that the TV Control content playback functionality requires a freedom from screen mirroring technology in the tablet/device - well done on mentioning this useful info! Can we please have the same requirements mentioned for TV Go functionality too as there have been several complaints here from people experiencing screen stuttering and playback problems who were unaware their setup eg with screen mirroring enabled, is the cause.

Will you please ask the webmaster/website developer team to attend to this Rose_B... and while they're at it, will you also ask them to replace the outdated Windows Shop black and white logos used in association to TV Go related downloads here with the correct, modern, full colour Microsoft Store logo. They've got the logo graphics right for all the other OS's but yet again it seems as if Virgin Media just doesn't care about the Windows platform. Why not prove me wrong on this count?

OldieDi
Tuning in
Message 22 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Frustrated that I can no longer set up recordings while away from home using the Virgin web page (which I can still do with Sky at my other address) I decided to use TV Go to do so on my Android phone, but that has no facility to set recordings, either!

As a retired IT developer I am disgusted.  Next time, Virgin, don't send a brief spec to contractors in India, and inflict the results on paying customers, check first that the spec meets requirements and that the software matches the spec.  

The new TV Go tripe may allow you to watch crap TV on a mobile, provided you are in the UK (I am not, currently) but you can't schedule recordings.  I can check schedules on my PC, but not implement them. Anyone whose preferred method of consulting TV schedule tables is a 5" screen is irrelevant.  Software should be written for usability to satisfy the demand of users, not to meet a spec of a half-wit who had no idea what to ask for.

I despair of Virgin.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV Go is specifically for Live TV and On Demand.

Virgin TV Control is the app that you need on your Android device to set recordings on your TiVo or V6 box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
OldieDi
Tuning in
Message 24 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Please RTFM before replying.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@OldieDiwrote:

As a retired IT systems engineer, I know what RTFM means but I’ve no idea why you are insulting @BenMcr for providing the correct answer to your inability to set recordings remotely.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 26 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@OldieDiwrote:

As a retired IT systems engineer, I know what RTFM means but I’ve no idea why you are insulting @BenMcr for providing the correct answer to your inability to set recordings remotely.

Because the poster, OldieDi, was adding to the much-discussed issue that VM have removed the feature that was the original point of the TV Anywhere service, i.e. the ability to set up recordings on a PC via a web interface, without any explanation. Despite the numerous posts asking why.

Posts promoting your favoured method, an app, are therefore irrelevant and add nothing to resolving the real problem, i.e. VM making the web service available again as requested by numerous customers.

I seem to recall you objecting to me raising this issue on a thread related to the web app so perhaps you should follow your own rules and not post irrelevances about these apps on threads discussing the problem of VM's removal of a popular service, without explanation.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@OldieDiwrote:

Frustrated that I can no longer set up recordings while away from home using the Virgin web page (which I can still do with Sky at my other address) I decided to use TV Go to do so on my Android phone, but that has no facility to set recordings, either!

I’m sorry, @frank_gm, but Ben’s response pointed out that the TV Go app is the wrong one for setting recordings.

While I accept the response was on a thread about browser, OldieDi did try to use an Android app but the wrong one. 

Would you rather he/she was left unaware that there was a solution available to them?

As it then turned out, the response to Ben’s reply with RTFM was rude.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 28 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I did read the post from OldieDi and he makes clear his feelings on using an app, either app, on a small device to perform a task that was far easier to do on a PC via a web browser. From that I well understood the RTFM comment. The response from BenMcr, a VM employee, simply repeated the party line and ignored the real issue.

To repeat, the fact that some of you are happy with an app to perform scheduling is utterly irrelevant. VM had a method that suited a lot of customers but, rather than resolve the problems with it, they simply dumped it for a far less acceptable method. Acceptable to some customers does not meet the grade, we all pay.

If I remember correctly, you live in Scotland, like me. Do you also approve of the fact that VM assume, on the Go website, that all of its customers live in London?

Perhaps if VM stopped treating its customers with contempt then they might get a better reaction from them.

I would have used the @tag, i.e. @ernie_c, to alert you but I forgot that some customers are more equal than others Smiley Happy

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I believe I have already stated previously that I, in no way, condone the removal of the ability via browser to manage TiVo platforms, nor do I accept the situation which means you can’t even see Scottish schedules on the pathetic browser TV Go.

I reserve the right to post wherever I feel, in whatever way and accept any moderation from those in a position to do so.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 30 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_Cwrote:

I believe I have already stated previously that I, in no way, condone the removal of the ability via browser to manage TiVo platforms, nor do I accept the situation which means you can’t even see Scottish schedules on the pathetic browser TV Go.

I reserve the right to post wherever I feel, in whatever way and accept any moderation from those in a position to do so.

Good for you. I wish I could "reserve the right to post wherever I feel, in whatever way" but I rarely bother these days as those in a position to moderate do so in an excessive manner. 

Repressing criticism is the start of a downhill path and, while I do not post much, I do still read posts and the inability to listen, and respond, to criticism is becoming more and more apparent.

I suspect that I should disappear in to the background again before I am disappeared yet again by the authorities. Keep up the good work defending the faith.

¡No Pasarán!