cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin tv go website doesnt start playing on s10

Ferocious
Tuning in

I just purchased a galaxy s10 as an upgrade from an aging s8. I used to watch TV on my s8 using the TV go website as it was more reliable and just easier than the app, however on my s10 it just stays on the program is starting soon page but never actually starts the content.

I have hard reset my device several times. Cleared data and cache for chrome. Ensured chrome is up to date. Tried different browsers but doesn't work at all in any other browser. Messed around with various privacy settings in chrome. Tried both wireless and 4g.

Strangely the app works on this device and plays content but I feel it is clunky and slow to navigate so prefer using a bookmark to get to the now on TV page in my browser then just pick a channel from there.

Why would it work on an old device running android 9 but not on a newer one running android 12? My new device is listed in the devices list.

Please help! I really don't like the stupid app...

10 REPLIES 10

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ferocious,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issue with TV go on your new device.

We can understand the frustration caused and we want to best help. Just to confirm is this the only device you are having this issue with? You may find the following link useful in regards to this https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-go-what-devices-can-i-use#:~:text=Virgin%20TV%20Go%20is%2....? Also, is your device connected to your home network or mobile date when trying to watch shows? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

I feel if you may have read my post a little better you would not have had to ask both of those questions. It happens on both Wifi and 4g. It does not happen on an older device which I no longer use.

I do not have any other devices to test with.

I noticed last night that if the web page is stuck on the "Starting Soon" page and I try to use the app to watch instead, it states I have too many devices watching TV on the go. Seems like a bug in your website if I am honest.

Also the link provided is little to no help. The device is running Android 12 which is far above the minimum requirement mentioned of 5.1, is not rooted or jailbroken.

Hi @Ferocious,

Thanks for expanding. In your posts on this thread I can't see that you've mentioned removing and then reinstalling the app again just yet. As such, would you mind trying this for me, please?

Let us know how you get on either way.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

My issue lies with the virgin go Web page not the app. The app works on this device however it is slow and clunky to use. I would much rather just use the Web page like I have been for the past year on my s8 however on my s10 it does not start playing any content just sits on the starting soon page.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Ferocious 

I don't know if this will help but it's possibly worth a try?

I used to have the same problem on my Tablet A7.

Going into the Power mode on the drop down I found it was set to medium power saving (70%) processor speed. I then set power mode option to Optimised.

Additionally I went in Settings menu and turned ON adaptive brightness.

This solved it failing to start, or if it did start having choppy video performance.

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ferocious
Tuning in

So is that it? No further 'help' from virgin on my issue?

2 agents who can't even read the OP and just give canned responses and no actual resolution to the problem? Good to see virgin gives the same support it always has. Will be switching to another supplier when the contract comes to term in March I think.

Pathetic.

Thanks Dave, however this did not work for me.

It beggars belief that two phones both running the exact same version of Chrome but with different Android versions can work so differently with the Virgin TV Go website.

Interestingly, the S8 is rooted which apparently is not supported yet it works better with the service than the unrooted S10. They really messed something up when coding it, it would seem.

Anyway, off to not watch the service I pay good money for before I go to bed, hoping that if I get another reply from Virgin that it is someone who has reading comprehension and technical knowledge of how the services they are supposed to be supporting actually work, and can provide something useful to get this working for me like it did on my S8.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Ferocious

Thank you for coming back to us.  

When you do watch online, is it only effecting live TV channels, are you able to watch any of the on-demand content that is on TVGO. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

It would seem like that is broken too. All I get is a channel header picture and a blank page.

Screenshot_20220208-100859_Chrome.jpg