cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 TV Go Downloads on Android

jhob
Tuning in

Hi, I have just upgraded to Virgin 360 and have TV Go on an Android device which is registered. I have started downloading, so I can watch offline when I am away but have a frustrating issue. I have tried three different series and there is always at least one episode within each series which gives an error message. It is say randomly episode 2 that won't download but 1, 3 and 4 will. There is enough storage left (10GB) and when I got the error on the first series, it let me download another series after, but again gave an error on one episode. I t gives the option to download, then asks for the PIN and when the other episodes then download these give an error message, any ideas? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the error message? You've not said.

It may also be useful to provide the specific examples of programmes you're having problems with - others (I include myself in this) may be able to test on our devices)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I click on the episode and press download, it says starting download for a split second, then asks for my PIN - it does this on all and then when I enter my PIN it either starts downloading on the ones that work or the ones that get the error give an exclamation mark and say 'Unable to download' and then the message disappears. 

I've tried on Compulsion and it downloads Episodes 1 and 3 but not 2. Deadline works on episodes 1, 2 and 3 but not 4. Killer At The Crime Scene works on 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8 but not 2 or 4.

Thanks again.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I can replicate the same error on all of these programmes, so VM will need to pick those up.

Wait around here and staff should be along and should be able to pass this on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jhob wrote:

I've tried on Compulsion and it downloads Episodes 1 and 3 but not 2. Deadline works on episodes 1, 2 and 3 but not 4. Killer At The Crime Scene works on 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8 but not 2 or 4.

Thanks again.

I was able to download and play both Killer At The Crime Scene episodes 2 and 4, and also Compulsion episode 2 on my android phone.

I was unable to download Deadline Seies 1 episode 4 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks to both of you for checking. I also tried on my Android phone but couldn't download any of the ones I was originally having issues with, so guess we will have to wait for VM staff, as you say.

Hopefully I have just been unlucky but not a good start with the first three attempts and no success! 

Hi there @jhob

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back! 

A big thank you to our community members for looking into this and confirming this fault for us! 

We have now raised this with the relevant teams and we will let you know as soon as we hear back from the teams.

Thank you.

Hi, we have now been on Virgin 360 for three weeks, including whilst on holiday and so 'away from the home network' and so have given it a good test. We have come across the following issues, some which may be user error or my lack of understanding of how things work but others which appear to be a bug as with the original download post, but I would be grateful if you could clarify on the following problems we have encountered please.

To give an overview we have 2x boxes at home and these are set to go on Standby after 4 hours in the box settings. The 2x boxes are on the same Virgin network however our Virgin Hub is connected to Powerline adapters with the 2x boxes connected to different Powerline adapters. When using the actual boxes at home, both boxes can see each other and we can watch recordings on the other box, so I don't think the Powerline adapters are causing any issues and the main issues seem to be when away from home with the TV Go App anyway. Previously using the same phone and the TV Go and TV Control Apps on the V6 Tivo package we never had any issues watching live TV or making recordings, before we switched to 360, but now have the following issues:

1) not being able to download certain episodes within a series - known issue already being looked into by tech support

2) with the download issue above/in the original post, on the latest TV Go App I was therefore checking most days if I could download the episodes I was having issues with. I had also downloaded some other series with all programs as well as individual programs to watch on holiday. Each day I could see all these downloads, then one day everything had disappeared, so I had nothing to watch, any ideas why they were there for the first few days and then all went?

3) this may be my understanding but when I spoke with Virgin sales they said we could watch our recordings on the TV Go App when away from home on holiday, but when I can connect it says 'recordings available to watch on home network only' and 'TV box could not be reached as only possible if on the same network'?

4) I tried to record some programs on the TV Go App when away off the home network and I get a message saying 'will record when box online'  and the two boxes I have are greyed out when you try to select them or watch live TV. Some programs it did eventually record but others it didn't. It seems (me guessing) like when the box is in standby although it accepts the new recording it won't actually record until the box wakes up to record an already programmed recording, but if the new recording I am trying to set is before the next already planned recording then it doesn't wake up in time and so doesn't record the new program? eg something already set to record at 9pm, I then set something new to record at 8pm and 10pm, both new recordings are accepted and say will record when the box is online, the 8pm doesn't record but the 10pm does, my assumption the box didn't wake up until 9pm for the already planned recording and so missed the new 8pm one but was awake for the 10pm one? 

5) again on the TV Go App away from the home network the two boxes I have were often greyed out and wouldn't let me connect to them. When at home, still using the TV Go App but on my home network I tested this and even though the boxes are in standby as above, it lets me select them and gives me the message ' on standby - turn box on' (which I didn't get when on holiday) but even then it spins around for several minutes without saying 'connecting'. If you go to recordings or live TV and try to watch it says ' must be connected to a box' but then plays as you would expect. At the top of the App I then have the option to disconnect from the box but I still have the message spinning around at the bottom saying 'connecting' even though it is now clearly connected? I tested this with both boxes and my phone on the same Powerline adapter and direct to the hub, but it stayed the same?

We love the Virgin 360 but just seem to be having teething problems, especially using the TV Go App away from home which is the main reason we upgraded, so any help would again be appreciated. Thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jhob wrote:

3) this may be my understanding but when I spoke with Virgin sales they said we could watch our recordings on the TV Go App when away from home on holiday, but when I can connect it says 'recordings available to watch on home network only' and 'TV box could not be reached as only possible if on the same network'?

Licensing conditions dictate that recordings are available at the address where your account is registered, and the IP of your home WiFi-network is the means by which this is enforced.

But you have hit on a difference between TiVo/V6 & 360. TiVo/V6 uses TV Go for live streaming, and TV Control for all recording functionality. TV360 uses TV Go for both.

It is my understanding that TV Control has the facility to download recordings while at home, for offline viewing while away. TV Go does not offer this facility.

Thanks for the reply. That explains why I can't watch recordings away from home, although that was a main reason for upgrading and I specifically asked sales this several times, but no worries this has clarified, thanks. I can actually download on TVGo via 360 to watch away from my home network, but unfortunately after a few days all the downloads disappeared!