cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing recordings on Virgin Go

AJ63
Joining in

Can I view my recordings on Virgin Go when not connected to home hub?.

31 REPLIES 31

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

@Flying_Kiwi is correct. Virgin TV 360 doesn’t offer the ability to download recordings to Go; only Box Sets. 

I appreciate that means there may be some shows that can’t be downloaded and streamed offline but there were some tricky rights considerations with the previous method that are resolved with the new app  

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m sorry I don’t understand.

If rights issues are the reason for this function’s unavailability on the Virgin TV Go app for TV 360 users then it MUST be removed from the Virgin TV Control app for V6 users…

….or is my logic flawed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@BlueLou wrote:

I appreciate that means there may be some shows that can’t be downloaded and streamed offline but there were some tricky rights considerations with the previous method that are resolved with the new app  

Sounds like that means it costs more. Sky's App allows this to occur with their latest hardware (and their all-in-one app) so does that mean people who want this functionality these days should switch providers?

If its good enough for the competition to allow this on nearly all the recorded programs, why can't Virgin Media continue to allow it? Additionally if the 'rights issues' make this tricky, how come the same hardware with TV360 firmware encounters this problem whereas the V6 boxes don't? Surely its just a matter of arranging for the same rights to work with the TV360 firmware on the same box?

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

@Ernie_C wrote:

I’m sorry I don’t understand.

If rights issues are the reason for this function’s unavailability on the Virgin TV Go app for TV 360 users then it MUST be removed from the Virgin TV Control app for V6 users…

….or is my logic flawed?

different platforms come with different agreements.  TiVo/V6 has a richer Netflix integration that any other platform, including both 360 and Sky.  No platform will ever get that kind of integration with Netflix again, but we don't have to remove it from V6. 

They also have different inbuilt functionality, therefore 360 doesn't have this ability.  It wasn't used much at all on V6, so I very much doubt it will be introduced.

Thanks for that explanation @BlueLou (and sorry I haven't yet figured out how to get your forum handle to come up as a link here).

I must say that it appears as if your tone is less than positive. I put it to you that one of the reasons why not many people may have used TV Control to download recordings from their V6 to their tablet was because it was notoriously slow and often unreliable too. That said, the last time I started as a VM customer was just after the V6 box was introduced and I used this feature all the time! Some people may not need it but some (eg commuters on long train, bus or even aircraft rides) may find it invaluable and indespensable - I did.

Given Sky do offer this feature (and it works reliably, all from the same one app), what is the official VM line as to what customers such as myself are to do? I don't think it'd be at all helpful to need to swap to a V6 box as you want to discontinue those (for obvious reasons) but if I'm trying to be supportive by using your new service and providing feedback here, VM needs to reciprocate in terms of getting back that lost functionality (at least at a basic level initially) for the people who do want it. If you market it correctly so customers know the functionality is there, that'll also significantly increase usage of the app this way. I do recall a member of VM support staff trying to convince me that this functionality wasn't even possible with the V6 box last time I was a customer so you'll also need to ensure tech support staff are fully aware of it when it comes.

To me an inference to the app being called TV Go is that you can take your recordings with you, stored locally on the device for playback on that device while you're out and about. Clearly if those responsible for securing rights in TiVo can haggle out a deal to benifit their customers while still keeping their CFO happy, I can't see why a big company such as Liberty Global/Virgin Media can't do the same here.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

the experience on V6 wasn't perfect , as you say, it took almost as long as the movie or show to transcode it to your device.

It's much better to download the content from the cloud, TV Go offers this for box set and other on demand content. 

so, I guess if the experience is poor and it wasnt used by many customers; I dont think it will be introduced. 

I have to stress that this is just my opinion, I have no influence on product development.

If it's any consolation, I strongly believe that very slow and unreliable performance was due to back-end issues (communicating with the servers responsible for giving the nod to allow the recording to be downloaded from the box to the TV Control equipped device - in the case of the V6) as well as coding issues for the downloading and conversion part of that software.

The good news is that now Virgin Media will have free reign to continue to develop its own all-in-one software in the form of TV Go to do this, these problems should no longer occur. Every cloud has a silver lining.

While the idea of streaming or even downloading from pre-assigned programs on Virgin Media's Servers is not without merit, nothing beats the freedom and choice of being able to download the vast majority of your boxes own recordings.

If Virgin Media don't want to provide this functionality (even in a basic form to begin with), they need to be prepared to loose business to the competition. If TiVo and the UK based competion can make it financially viable to provide such functionality, I don't see why Virgin Media shouldn't be aiming for this too.

I welcome official input from Virgin Media on this as speculation isn't really helpful. We live in a nation of great inventors and I'm sure if we can't do it even better than the others, we can come up with something just as good.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Flying_Kiwi 

I think part of the issue here is that the UK (and Ireland?) have chosen to leave recordings on a hard disk in the set top box, rather than take the approach of recording to the cloud.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Personally I prefer recording to my boxes HDD because it's far more energy and bandwidth efficient and outside servers in the cloud don't NEED to be utilised (other than to pass on details of the boxes recorded content to TV Go.

The internet as a whole uses alot of electricity and one way to reduce power consumption and associated pollution is to try and reduce reliance on bandwidth consumption with the cloud where possible. Things like streaming from the cloud (eg playing or downloading box sets from VMs TV Go supplying servers) or even downloading to my tablet from them, are no help at all in this regard.

Downloading from the TV360 box should contain the bandwidth used within my own local network (apart from a small amount associated with getting permissions to download the content to a TV Go equipped device). This means doing it my way is not only potentially much faster but it's also much greener for the planet.

Has VM considered this as a factor when moving from the old (locally stored and transferred V6 content system) to new TV 360? At the moment by depending on only box sets and content on their own servers as possible downloads, they're going backwards in this regard!

Blakeich
Dialled in

So I was wondering. Can you not download your recordings to watch on the go, on the virgin go app for 360 like I could on the V6 TV Control app? 

I can't seem to find the option. That would be a really big set back if we weren't able to download the programs we have recorded?