Menu
Racy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TV Go App & Browser on same device, counts as 2 registered devices?

I installed the Virgin TV Go app on my Windows 10 machine and registered it as the second device on my account. Unfortunately, the app buffered and froze so much it was completely unusable. I closed the app and logged in via the browser on the same device, but it says I’ve reached the limit for my devices even though it’s the same device. 

The message states I have to wait until the start of the month to make changes. Is there a way to reset this earlier given it’s the same device but the app is unusable, for streaming live TV, on it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mally_BUK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Go App & Browser on same device, counts as 2 registered devices?

Ring Virgin Media Support and they will re register one of your two devices. I too would like more devices to be available on the same computer as I have one Device Registered on my Laptop and one on the PC in my bedroom since they both use Windows 10 Edge Browser I can't have TV Go at the same time.

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And if you were able to choose a second browser on your Win 10 machine, that would have used up your change for the month as well - all on the one physical device! In my experience buffering that's present in the app is to often associated with attempting to run on a device that the TV Go streaming service perceives as a possible threat to media security. The common example is using screen mirroring ie when a laptop is configured to display on its own screen as well as an externally connected screen. In such cases, reconfiguring the display setup to use either (rather than both) displays seems to fix this. What is your Win 10 device and how is it setup?

Racy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Flying_Kiwi, your advice seems to have done the trick. It's a Windows 10 tablet which I had duplicated, via HDMI, to a monitor. I'd left the display settings on duplicate screens mode while I was giving the app an initial trial. I tested it only set to the tablet screen or only the external screen, as per your advice, and the difference with buffering was night and day.  

Thanks, you’ve been a huge help (kudos added).

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad to have helped and thanks for the purple thumb! As this isn't really something most people (or at least people who've not been IT Pro's) would think to be the cause of buffering, I have asked for configuration suggestions such as this to be available where you read about TV Go so people can be forewarned - let's see how much (or little) time VM takes to respond.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am guessing that @Flying_Kiwi has used the flag moderator option. As he has identified a plausible reason for the buffering and sound sync issues that some users are reporting it would be helpful if the @ModTeam could get the help files updated as necessary to indicate the issues caused by two or more screens.