cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV GO app when 360 box in standby

sunibo
Tuning in

Hi Folks. I just got the VM 360 Volt Ultimate bundle, having swapped from Sky.

How come the TV GO app only works when the 360 box is in ready mode? If the box is in standby, TV Go won't work, I get a message to turn the box on. At home, that's OK-ish, but as the maximum standby timer is set for 24 hours, how do I use TV Go on holiday? With Sky, I could use Sky Go anytime.

Also, I think you can only set recordings via TV Go when the box is on and not in standby. This is not intuitive, nor user friendly!

Can anyone correct my findings, and/or tell me how to use TV Go while away from home for more than a day, please?

Incidentally, is there a comprehensive manual/handbook for the 360 box anywhere? I don't know what the + and - buttons are for, and there appears to be a screen area (where the logo is) but nothing shows in it. 

Thanks in advance.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Set the TV 360 to ‘fast start’ in the settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Set the TV 360 to ‘fast start’ in the settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @sunibo 

The  following page should help with getting used to operating the 360.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/virgin-tv-360 

Are you asking about the + and - buttons on the actual 360 box? They are there as a manual means to change the displayed channel.

Also, if you have lost the 360 remote you can press and hold the + button on the front of the 360 for about 10 seconds or until you hear the remote start to beep as it will force an audible alert from the remote to help you locate it (providing the batteries are still charged)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app  should also be useful.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Ernie_C,

Thanks for the fast, and accurate, response. That works perfectly at home. I'll try it when I'm away sometime.

Surely this tip should be added to the 'error' message!

If there was (is) a decent manual for the box, it may have contained that information. 

Cheers!

Thanks for those links Dave.

Hey @sunibo, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

May I ask if your query has been resolved from the advice given above on this thread?
Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Ilyas,

My question about TV Go has been answered, thank you. I also found that there is a pseudo remote control on the TV Go app which could turn the main box on, and therefore get a connection.

I have to say, though, that the Android user rating for the app of 2.2 is accurate. Playback often stops after a while and has to be restarted (annoying), and that is when I'm at home!

Often, the app freezes on opening. I can prevent that by removing it from background apps when I close it. On my phone, I bring up the list of background apps and swipe TV Go to fully close it so that it starts afresh every time.

Similarly with the Media Connect app, it's best to close it off completely in order to prevent a lengthy wait on opening. 

These apps are not very user friendly, and in some ways not fit for purpose, and the code needs to be beefed up, IMHO.

Also, my supplemental query about a comprehensive manual for the TV 360 box hasn't been addressed.

When I buy a TV, a Blu Ray player, or a sound bar, e.g., there are detailed instructions provided, either on paper or .pdf. All there seems to be for the 360 box is a few online 'help' sections and this forum. 

It's extremely hard, and time consuming, to get information, such as the answer to my question. Why should I have join a user forum when the action needed could have been in a user manual!

There should be a manual that tells users about every physical connection, and every menu item that appears in the software, plus tips and warnings.

I'm sorry this isn't a simple 'yes or no' response, but I expected better from VM when I joined.

Regards to all.

Hello again,

After my above comments, I've just opened my tablet to watch a recording and it keeps stopping after a few minutes with a message that, 'your Virgin Tv box has just gone offline, please try again'! I hit 'OK' and then 'play' and it works straight away.

This is unacceptable! I am sitting 6ft from both the box and router. This app or the connectivity must be improved.

Virgin Media please take note!

Thank you for the reply @sunibo

May I ask what device you are using, the model and make?
Are the operating systems on the device up to date?
And do you have the latest version of the app installed?
Let us know and we can assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ilya,

I was using a Samsung Tablet, S6 Lite (SM-P615). All software is up to date as far as I know. I only downloaded the app this week, so that should also be up to date.

I have to say the app worked properly for over an hour yesterday afternoon, but it had exhibited the same failures on my phone (Samsung S10 Lite) earlier in the week. I need to use it more often to see how stable it is.

Cheers.