cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Control error - Out of home streaming is not permitted from this Virgin TV box

authentic8
Dialled in

For a couple of months I have got this message on my Android device using the TV Control app.

Out of home streaming is not permitted from this Virgin TV box. Contact customer services for more information. Error code: E=8 V=-1

I am on the same home WiFi network. The device is registered and I can see all the up-to-date listings of recorded shows in My Shows. So why can't I stream them?

The second TiVo box is on the same network and I can stream from that.

19 REPLIES 19

Hi authentic8,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're getting this error too.

Can you confirm if you've downloaded the program before leaving your home?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex

I download and install the apps in my home. In fact, I don't think I've ever used them outside of the home and the home network as I rarely take the tablet outside (Covid-19 lockdown or otherwise). Last time I did was about a year and a half ago and the apps worked since then.

Hi authentic8, 

Apologies to hear that this is still ongoing but I'm glad you're sticking with us on this. 

Is this happening on any other device for this TiVo box or is this only happening on the one device? 

Does everything work on the TiVo box like watching your recordings or live TV? 

Can you try pushing a connection between the TiVo and the WiFi by forgetting the network and re-joining it? You can do this by following this link: Connecting your TV Box to WiFi 

Come back and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, Kath.  I have the same problem.  I think it's a generic technical problem that Virgin must look into.  I'll give you my scenario as that my help give you what you need.

I have a TIVO box.  This is plugged via Ethernet cable into my Virgin home broadband/Wi-Fi router. I recorded the Circle Final on Channel 4 the other night.  On the TIVO box I can go to My Shows and watch it, FFwd it, rewind it, etc.  Stop, start, watch again, come back another time and start again.  Everything you'd expect.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 old mobile phone.  This is connected to my Virgin home wi-fi network on the same router.  I can run the TV control app.  I can select The Circle from MY Shows.  I can watch it without problem and do the above, but slightly different due to the features of the app.

I recently bought a new iPad, a very basic model.  I installed the TV Go and the TV Control apps.  The iPad is connected to the same network, just like my Samsung Galaxy.  It is registered on my account.  On the iPad I can use TV Go to live stream TV.  I can use TV control to control my TV, set recordings, etc.  What I cannot do is watch The Circle Final on it.  I get the error message in this thread .... Out of home streaming is not permitted from this Virgin TV box.

There is seemingly nothing wrong with the TiVo box; both the TiVo itself and my Samsung confirm that.  There is nothing wrong with my new out-of-the-box iPad.  It has the latest IOS running on it, the latest TV control APP, etc.  Nothing needs uninstalling and re-installing.  All of this points to a technical error either with the the app, some central setting, or a compatibility error where Virgin needs to update something somewhere.

Many thanks.

Ah.  I think that I may have fixed it.  For anyone else with the problem, you might like to try these steps.

1) Make sure you have the TV Go and TV Control apps installed (latest versions)

2) Run the TV Go to register your device on the network.

3) Re-start your TiVo box from the Home -> Settings -> Restart option  (just pick re-start, don't delete all data)

4) TiVo box will shut down then take ~4 minutes to boot up again.

5) Wait ~30 minutes then go back into the TV Control app

I did this and got a message "Would you like to setup a new streaming device?".  I followed the prompts and it worked!!!

Best of luck.

Hi Philspotty, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are also having an issue with this. 

I can appreciate why you would think the issues are the same given the fact they have the same error code however I don't think the 2 situations are related. I believe this given the face that the OP is having issues on an Android device where as it works on your Android device and the issue is on your iPad. 

If we can go through some diagnostics with you on this one to see if anything helps. 

Have you tried deleting and re-installing the app?

Make sure your iPad is running the latest software update?

Can you also try forcing the connection on your TiVo using this link here: Connecting your TV Box to WiFi 

Let me know how things go 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath

It was originally one device but then I installed the app on another device (both Android) and the same problem occurred. Everything else works on the TiVo box.

However, I did as you suggested and reconnected the TiVo box to the WiFi and then I got a message prompt on the app saying "We have discovered a streaming device on this network." I clicked the "Start Setup" button and now it works! (I wonder why it stopped working in the first place?)

Thanks to you and the other forum staff for helping me out.

Best wishes.

Hi authentic8, 

Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and update things. 

I'm glad that things are resolved for you now. If you have any further issues, don't hesitate to come back to us. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

I’ve had this same problem intermittently for over a year. Some days it works fine. Others - without changing anything - I get this error. I can re boot reinstall restart everything and it still happens. I give up in frustration only for it to work another day without doing anything. 

guess why I’m on her now? Repeat of unsolvable problem #267 (ish)

Hi Safinn, 

Thanks for joining the conversation, I am sorry you're also having this same issue with your TV Control App. 

Have you also tried the solution found in this thread? Here it is below -

Kath - "Can you try pushing a connection between the TiVo and the WiFi by forgetting the network and re-joining it? You can do this by following this link: Connecting Your TV Box to WIFI.

This has helped some customers with the same issue, please let us know if it works.

Thanks,

Megan_L