cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Control app on Android Tablet - turns WiFi off

g0akc
Problem sorter

I've tried using the TV Control app on my Android tablet - after difficulties logging in I find that the app turns off the WiFi on the device and then gives a 'no network connection error'. It asks me to return to the sign in dialogue box. If I then turn the WiFi back on, in Settings, and login again it does the same - so it's stuck in a loop.

At one point it reached a stage of 'looking for devices on my network' and the WiFi was going on and off (symbol at top coming and going) before eventually it stayed off.

The TV Go app works OK on the device (latest Amazon HD 10) and plays live streams.

I've tried rebooting the tablet - still the same.

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
8 REPLIES 8

g0akc
Problem sorter

I seem to have resolved this by connecting to my additional wireless AP rather then 'main' router (it's a third party router, from D-Link).

There were a couple of other strange things going on too (not sure what was the root cause).

Very odd!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @g0akc, sorry to hear of this issue! 

Are you connecting the tablet to the same WIFI network that the box is on?

Just wanting to check you do not have split SSID names for the 2 different wifi bands on your hub, and you do not have any 3rd party Wifi boosters that would have a different network name. 

Has the android tablet had any other Wifi connection issues or has it been solely with the TV control app?

If you could please try going to the google play store, search for webview and then select update. Once this has updated if you could try rebooting the app, and see if this helps! Let us know how you get on. 

All the best. 

Molly

g0akc
Problem sorter

I spoke too soon and the issue reoccurred with the additional AP.  Back to the 'main' router and this time I could watch a recording off the V6 box.  It's very flaky.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Molly_T wrote:

Hi @g0akc, sorry to hear of this issue! 

Are you connecting the tablet to the same WIFI network that the box is on?

Just wanting to check you do not have split SSID names for the 2 different wifi bands on your hub, and you do not have any 3rd party Wifi boosters that would have a different network name. 

Has the android tablet had any other Wifi connection issues or has it been solely with the TV control app?

If you could please try going to the google play store, search for webview and then select update. Once this has updated if you could try rebooting the app, and see if this helps! Let us know how you get on. 

All the best. 

• The Android tablet is on the same network as the V6 box - though the V6 is wired to the router (Ethernet cable). The devices are all on the same subnet.
  • I have not split the SSIDs.
  • There are no boosters though, as already mentioned, there is an additional wireless access point in the house, connected to the router via Ethernet.  That has its own SSID and its Ethernet ports are also used for different devices.
  • The tablet has had no other issues. It's only been the VM TV Control app.
  • I will try the Webview thing.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Molly_T wrote:

If you could please try going to the google play store, search for webview and then select update. Once this has updated if you could try rebooting the app, and see if this helps! 

Hi @Molly_T - I can see various app in the Google Play store called 'Webview' - none of which are installed.

Which specific app are you referring to?  Is this a service that the TV Control app depends on?

Please advise

thanks

Hi @g0ack, thanks for your post again.

Webviewer is a system component powered by Chrome that allows Android apps to display web content - it's generally automatically installed on your device from the start so should update automatically but don't worry if you can't find it.

I've checked on my own personal phone though which is android, and I can find it by searching Android System Webview.

Would you be able to try that please, to see if you can update that particular app if it shows?

In addition to this, I'd recommend uninstalling the TV Control app, and re-installing it from your app store too.

Regards

Tom_W

g0akc
Problem sorter

I've eft it alone and I'm reluctant to touch it since it eventually started working (albeit flakey).

Furthermore I've borrowed a TV that is now connected directly to our V6 box whilst I await the outcome of a repair issue with Samsung.  We can therefore view our recordings on that.

Hi g0akc, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're glad to hear you are able to view the recordings now and things seem to be working. 

If they stop working then we would need you to run the updates as per Tom's message above but for now, if you're happy - we can leave things be. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs