cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV App issue after clearing cookies. Re-registration required each counting towards total devices!

IP2
Joining in

TV App is allowed to be registered to 5 devices.  When you clear cookies on Chrome the app does not recognise your laptop and you need to re-register again.  This counts as a new device.  Seeing as you only have 5 devices allowed, you can quickly hit your limit. Reading forums seems this in an inbuilt feature!!  Crazy.   I don't have the time or energy to keep ringing VM to clear my devices once I have hit 5 registrations which will be not time at all if I clear my cookies regularly.  No doubt I will end up not using this feature.   Is there going to be a fix to this soon?   Is VM looking into it?

2 REPLIES 2

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There won't be a fix for clearing cookies.

The device registration limits are part of the content licencing agreements that Virgin Media have with the providers, so Virgin have to have a technical way of identifying devices.

For web browsers the TV Go site uses cookies to do that as that's the mechanism that browsers allow. Once you clear your cookies then to the device registration system it looks like you're on a new PC.

You can change one device three times a month so as long as you don't clear cookies more than that you should be able to re-register the device again - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-go-registering-devices

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi IP2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry for any frustration you're having. 

As BenMcr has advised this isn't something we would be fixing.

We do appreciate your feedback on this and will ensure it is passed to the relevant team. 

^Martin