cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky sports live tv works on iPad but not iPhone

saviour1
Tuning in

2DF0EA6A-C479-49CB-A696-4478AD13DBB9.png

Hi, I’ve always been able to watch live sport on the Sky Sports app as part of my Virgin subscription, on both my iPad and iPhone. Then suddenly about 3 weeks ago, every time I try on my iPhone I get the message: “Video unavailable, a problem was encountered, retry later”.

Still works fine on the iPad. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi saviour1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that your viewing has been interrupted through the Sky Sports App on your iPhone. As it's been working until recently, have you changed anything on your iPhone that may have knocked something out? Such as have you ran any updates to your iOS or has the app updated?

When loading Sky Sports, do you go through TV Go or do you open the Sky Sports app directly?

Can you try deleting the app from the iPhone and reinstalling it to see if this helps resolves things?

Pop back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi saviour1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that your viewing has been interrupted through the Sky Sports App on your iPhone. As it's been working until recently, have you changed anything on your iPhone that may have knocked something out? Such as have you ran any updates to your iOS or has the app updated?

When loading Sky Sports, do you go through TV Go or do you open the Sky Sports app directly?

Can you try deleting the app from the iPhone and reinstalling it to see if this helps resolves things?

Pop back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks. I had tried that twice without success (same thing kept happening) but tried it again after your reply and it’s now working so thanks.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Glad you got it sorted in the end, thanks for keeping the thread updated saviour1 we appreciate it. Please let us know if you encounter any more issues. 

Tom 

I think I’ve worked out the issue now. It started happening again and no matter how many times I deleted the Sky Sports app and reloaded it wouldn’t work, I was getting the same error. Then I remembered that when I updated my iPhone to iOS 13 there was a new feature called Private Relay that blocks your IP address from being read by websites. I had enabled it, just disabled it and Sky Sports now working fine. Could just be coincidence but it coincides with the time when the Sky Sports app stopped working on my iPhone.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Interesting and worth seeing if that works for anyone else that has a similar issue.

As far as I understand how that Private Relay works though, it shouldn't affect an app as it's suppose to only work in Safari (shouldn't even affect other browsers on iOS like Chrome or Firefox)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thank you so much for updating us @saviour1 and this is really helpful to know. 

I've passed this information on to our teams so we can be aware of this. 

Thank you so much again.