cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky sports live on chromebook

Sandy143
Joining in

Why can't I watch sky sports live on my Acer chromebook?

20 REPLIES 20

I'm so sorry to hear that you feel this way @gregywils 

You can check this link here to see which devices can support Sky Sports and unfortunately Chromebook is not currently on there. 

Should this change then Sky will update the list. 

Thank you. 

It may not be listed currently but it worked perfectly for 18 months then stopped.

I spent months communicating with Virgin to try and get to the bottom of why it stopped working and no one could give me a definitive answer and there hasn't been one to this date.

Two emails directly to Sky and it was explained within a couple of days. 

Can you see why I have this opinion now? 

Chromebooks are not a niche product. It is really difficult to understand why compatibility was suddenly withdrawn and there are no plans to reinstate it. 

I completely agree - they are the 2nd biggest selling laptop type after windows machines.

I used to be able to watch Sky Sports on my Chromebook.

If I was a sky customer I could use Sky Go on my Chromebook, I can use Virgin TV Go on my Chromebook but the availability of Sky Sports has been removed, why?

Please just tell me why, not just it's not supported, someone, somewhere made this poor decision, just tell me on what basis they made it?

Damn! Just been caught out by this having spent over £600 on a new Chromebook. Serves me right for not doing my research properly.

Is there no precedent for making Sky Sports available via the Virgin TV Go app instead? I mean, the channels are all listed already. Is it really beyond the realms of possibility?

I don't want to give up the Chromebook for an ipad and spend another £200 on a smaller screen.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dodge61 wrote:

Is there no precedent for making Sky Sports available via the Virgin TV Go app instead? I mean, the channels are all listed already. Is it really beyond the realms of possibility?

Such things depends on the terms of the carriage agreement between Sky & Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I still find this so frustrating that when I'm using my Chromebook, using the Chrome browser I can go to "vigintvgo" and watch live TV but when I choose a Sky Sports channel it tells me to "Watch on Sky Sports" - this opens another tab lets me log in but then tells me "This content is not available on your device".  C'mon really?

it's 2022 - Chromebooks are sold worldwide in millions every year?

Trouble is, both companies just appear so obtuse over this.

Reply from VM........it's down to Sky.

Reply from Sky........here's a list of supported devices (again).

None of which offer any help or support at all.

Until the person who made the decision in SKY organisation owns up and explains why, we will only ever get the answer "the computer says no". It would be nice to think (what's that noise? its the devil skating!) that someone in the Virgin organisation could contact their equivalent in SKY and ask why, especially as the SKY Go app is available to Chromebook users

• Going to Chrome://flags and searching for 'video'. Then disable 'WEBRTC Hardware video decoding' and 'Hardware-accelerated video decode'.
  • This seems to work for me, but Netflix and BBCi Player stop working. You need to re-enable the above and they will work again. 
  • I found this solution on a Sky forum so kudos to someone else.