cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports desktop player on MacOS: Video stops shortly after starting

NoveltyBobble
On our wavelength

When trying to use Sky Sports player on MacOS, I only get 5-10 seconds before the video stops. It generates an error code VGC-4253024462 with a message stating "Please try connecting again". This behaviour occurs every time Sky Sports desktop player starts playing a video suggesting a bug in the player or incompatibility with macOS Catalina. The initial stream is very low bitrate and it stops at about the time you would normally expect it to change to a higher quality stream, although this may just be a coincidence.

Things I have already tried which make no difference:

• Completely reinstalling the Sky Sport desktop player.
  • Logging out of the Sky Sports webpage and back in again.
  • Reassigning my MacBook as a registered device.

I am using macOS Catalina 10.15.6 with Sky Sports 6.0.0, both the are the most up to date software.

Any help greatly appreciated especially as this is functionality I am paying for but cannot access.

24 REPLIES 24

Nope, no solution forthcoming from any avenue. The thread I joined on the Sky forum has been similarly unhelpful. Given you have the same problem this suggests it's a bug in the Sky Sports Player or a compatibility issue with MacOS rather than user error. At the very least it is something that Sky should be able to diagnose and offer a solution for.

FWIW I regretted the factory re-set especially as the same problem soon returned.

Hi

I encountered this issue and managed to fix it by Force Quitting all the following applications - Teams, Zoom, Quicktime, Skype, Skype for Business. I think Skype is the one that did it, but may be different. I am on a Mac High Sierra OS and using Desktop Player.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the advise, that's useful to know - although I'm not running any of those pieces of software it means it might be something I'm running that's causing the problem. I'm struggling to determine what this may be however. Although how/why Sky Sports player is allowed to interrogate what software I have installed is another question.

@newapollo put me on the right track.  I had iMovie running and as soon as I closed it the error went away.  Opening it again saw the error returned.  

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi 4737carlinsir,

Thanks for updating the thread with your solution as it should help other people.

Glad it's all working now.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali