cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports app on Chromebook.

gregywils
Superfast

I have been using the Sky Sports app on my Chromebook faultlessly for the last 18 months, mainly to watch live streaming.

Today it has stopped allowing me to watch live streaming and a message appears saying that my device is not supported. 

Why the change? 

114 REPLIES 114

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Sky Sports app used to use Silverlight which is no longer supported by modern browsers as all of them already transitioned to HTML5.

Silverlight development framework is currently only supported on Internet Explorer 11, although I don't think it can be downloaded on Chromebooks.

I haven't got a Chromebook so can't test it but the following Chrome extension might work internet explorer tab for chromebook 

Please try that and update the thread to say whether or not it works as that would help other Chromebook users.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gregywils wrote:

So, you can't remember and I (along with many other Chromebook users) know it did work. Maybe we could move on from that point.

I'm not disputing it's worked. But if it's not listed as a supported device, then it's been a technical error in your favour that's now been amended to align to the published supported devices

Here's the supported device list from Sky's page in 2019 which pretty much matches the current list (excluding any minimum OS and browser versions) https://web.archive.org/web/20190522172546/http://partner.help.sky.com/

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@newapollo wrote:

The Sky Sports app used to use Silverlight which is no longer supported by modern browsers as all of them already transitioned to HTML5.

Silverlight development framework is currently only supported on Internet Explorer 11, although I don't think it can be downloaded on Chromebooks.

I haven't got a Chromebook so can't test it but the following Chrome extension might work internet explorer tab for chromebook 

Please try that and update the thread to say whether or not it works as that would help other Chromebook users.

Sky ditched Silverlight a while back for the web, but they moved to the desktop player which is Windows and macOS specific, not to HTML5.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

• Going to Chrome://flags and searching for 'video'. Then disable 'WEBRTC Hardware video decoding' and 'Hardware-accelerated video decode'.
  • This seems to work for me, but Netflix and BBCi Player stop working. You need to re-enable the above and they will work again. 
  • I found this solution on a Sky forum so kudos to someone else.

Hey Casperre, thank you for reaching out and also a thank you for providing these helpful tips. 

How has Netflix and BBC been for you since this? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?