cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports app on Chromebook.

gregywils
Superfast

I have been using the Sky Sports app on my Chromebook faultlessly for the last 18 months, mainly to watch live streaming.

Today it has stopped allowing me to watch live streaming and a message appears saying that my device is not supported. 

Why the change? 

114 REPLIES 114

As Virgin customers pay for Sky Sports and Virgin offer the TV Go feature (which includes Sky Sports), Virgin really should be doing something to assist customers who have had this feature removed from them.

Now the Sky Sports app does not work, please can you tell me why I can't access live TV on the Sky Sports website? My Virgin log in works but live TV does not, just like using the app. 

What happens when you attempt to access the Sky Sports Website? Can you please provide any screenshots of this?

^Martin

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gregywils wrote:

As Virgin customers pay for Sky Sports and Virgin offer the TV Go feature (which includes Sky Sports), Virgin really should be doing something to assist customers who have had this feature removed from them.

Now the Sky Sports app does not work, please can you tell me why I can't access live TV on the Sky Sports website? My Virgin log in works but live TV does not, just like using the app. 

Unfortunately unlike the TV Go website, Sky produce a 'desktop player' app which only works on Windows or macOS. This launches whenever you play most video from the Sky Sports website. So the website won't work on a Chromebook.

Chromebooks are not listed as a supported device by Sky for the Sky Sports access via any method https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-cinema-and-sky-sports-with-virgin-media

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Does that mean that I am now unable to watch Sky Sports live despite it being part of the package?

I think that we are going to have to kick up a fuss with Sky, as it is their player.

I personally do not understand why the app can work on an android phone but not a chromebook.

Maybe it is a ploy from Sky to move away from the Google platform altogether?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gregywils wrote:

Does that mean that I am now unable to watch Sky Sports live despite it being part of the package?

Unfortunately that looks like the case at the moment. Personally I'm not aware of Chromebooks ever being listed as being compatible, so I'm not sure why they've been enabled over the last 18 months and why that's changed now.

But unless/until Sky list them as a supported device, any IT issue raised by Virgin Media to Sky about it will now come back as 'not supported and no issue'

Not a very customer focused outlook. Computer says 'No'. 

If you pay for a feature as part of a package and that feature is withdrawn without notice, it sounds like not fulfilling the contract to me. 

Mine was working for a month or two after I purchased it, but it appears that different Chromebooks lost support at different times, could be to do with ChromeOS updates?

It is extremely frustrating and one of the main reasons I purchased a Chromebook was to watch Sky Sports, as it worked on a previous faulty laptop I had, that I had to swap within the first month.

I am actually gutted by this lack of support for a mainstream device.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gregywils wrote:

Not a very customer focused outlook. Computer says 'No'. 

If you pay for a feature as part of a package and that feature is withdrawn without notice, it sounds like not fulfilling the contract to me. 

I do appreciate the frustration here, but as I said above I don't remember ever seeing Chromebooks officially listed as supported or offered as part of the Sky Sports streaming options.

So, you can't remember and I (along with many other Chromebook users) know it did work. Maybe we could move on from that point.