cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports Desktop Player for PC not Loading

Harveypotter
On our wavelength

Hi, to watch Sky Sports on my laptop nowadays Sky make you download and install a Desktop Player onto your PC. 

After downloading and installing, I can’t get the software to load up. After installing the cursor spins for a few seconds and then just goes dead.

Have tried all sorts: downloading from all the different browsers, re-installing, turning virus software (Windows Defender) off, turning firewalls off. It just won’t load up.

Anyone had any similar problems and got a fix? I need to watch sky sports on my laptop through my account with Virgin.

Running Windows 10 Home.

thanks , HP

47 REPLIES 47

Interestingly - that Sky Go app isn't working for me. I can download but it doesn't open it. There's more likely to be forums for how to solve that, than how to solve the sky sports player not initialising so i'll follow that up. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Sky Go app is for Sky customers only. It won't work for Virgin Media customers

It's only this desktop player that will work (which we're talking about) via the website https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/news/34716/10698060/download-instructions

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I thought as much with the Sky Go app itself - however, the fact that I can't even get it to load once i've downloaded shows that there is not a happy eco-system for the sky products, so as soon as i've sorted that, i may have some luck with the sky sports desktop player. 

Gareth, we’re going round in circles here. I’ve already mentioned that all along I’ve been taking about the desktop player app for windows, from the Sky website. It will not work on my pc. Hasn’t worked for months. Thanks 

Can you please try this  then Harveypotter

Gareth_L

@Gareth_L that that is a link to the player which is what we've downloaded, redownloaded, cleared app data etc etc etc many many times and doesn't work.

this post is about trying to get the desktop player to work as for both harveypotter and I it has stopped working and we can't work out why.

Exactly!! Thanks alexkantor87

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @alexkantor87 and @Harveypotter,

Thank you for coming back to us.

Can you tell us what version of the Player you have at the moment?

Keep us updated on this if you can. 

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z: that's effectively the problem in a nutshell. We can't even get into the player. So I can't tell you what version it is. Literally you double click the player icon or click from Windows start drop down menu, the mouse cursor spins momentarily, then nothing, dead. Not even a window pops up on screen. It's been like this for months. I assume every time I uninstall the player then re download from the Sky Sports website, I download the latest version each time, none of them work.

Same for me. Always the latest. Exact same issue.