Menu
Obicus
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports App in EU

Hi

I contacted your online chat at the weekend. I'm in France and the sky sports app won't let me play live sport. They told me that the sky sports app doesn't work outside the UK and Ireland. I sent them links to websites that said that it would work. I was told there was nothing he could do and was referred to sky.

Sky, unsurprisingly, have been very little help. They told me they would look into it but didn't get back to me. When I messaged them last night they told me that they couldn't find my query as I'm not a customer.

I've just looked at some posts on here and they confirm the app should work. Why is nobody willing to help? Why have I been given false information?

Has this issue put off because you'll probably take this feature away post Brexit?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Woody12
Joining in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports App in EU

I watched sky sports when I was in Spain but I use a vpn I read on a website that it's to do with broadcasting rights and the app wouldn't work outside the uk even in the EU it's all about money for the broadcasters and to stop people streaming it to TVs in a pub 

0 Kudos
Obicus
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I should have tried a VPN but shouldn't have to. Virgin's own website says: 

Android

Before you download the Sky Sports app, if you are using 3/4G please make sure you have location services enabled on your device, as watching channels via the Sky Sports app is only available to Virgin Media customers if you are in the UK or the EU. You won't need to do this if watching using WiFi.

Ta

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Obicus,

Welcome to our community forum page, it's great to have you on board. 

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to watch the Sky Sports channels through the Sky Sports app in France. 

Are you getting any error messages when logging in / accessing the channels on the app?

Would it be possible to provide some screenshots of any error messages you're getting?

Thanks,

Dean C

0 Kudos
Obicus
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan

This is the error message I got.Screenshot_20190803-103401_Sky Sports.jpg

I'm no longer in France but I still want to know why it wasn't working and why the virgin helpline told me I couldn't use it in France!

Thanks

O

0 Kudos
Obicus
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20190803-103401_Sky Sports.jpgError message

0 Kudos
Obicus
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The picture isn't uploading properly. It said:

Location not supported

Sky Sports channels are only available within the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Close

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Obicus,

Thank you for providing the screenshot above. Are you able to confirm if you have used the Sky sports app to view content with in the last 37 days before leaving for France? The reason why we ask this is because sky demand this to prove you are still a permanent resident and customer of the UK or ROI.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Obicus
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I did use the app shortly before travelling to watch some of the England v Ireland test match. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Obicus,

Are you able to confirm which handset you are currently using? Also do you have any VPN's or firewalls active when using this in the UK that could be causing effect.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos